1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shocking Monitor Connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Swen, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Swen

Swen Thread Starter

When the monitor is connect to my PIII computer, the case becomes electrically charged, giving a mild shock. It definitely only occurs when the monitor is connected, and I have tried two monitors and get the same thing. Any ideas what is causing this?

2. Chum

Chum

I am assuming you have it plugged into a grounded outlet.(?)
    I don't think your'e a dummy, but I had to ask!
    Do you have the monitors AC plugged into the back of the computer case or into the wall? Tell us your configuration.

3. Swen

Swen Thread Starter

I've probably already messed up this question. I thought I had it tracked down, but in double checking based on your questions, it appears that I was wrong about the source, which is once again unknown. I can now only feel the current in the case when the CPU power supply is on. The outlet is properly grounded and I now felt the shock with the monitor completly disconnected. There has to be some sort of a short some where, although it is not messing up operation of the computer. No smoke, no sparks. Everthing seems to work fine,except for the tell tale tingle when you touch the case. I picked the cpu up second hand, so I don't know what has been done to it. Any ideas?

4. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

hey swen,
    Welcome to TSG!

There is probably a couple loose wires in the case that is causing this. bzzzzt . . . (couldn't resist) Now comes the fun part. I love opening up these things and investigating! Just check to see if any wires are loose and tie them up. Unplug it first!

post back.

5. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi Swen

"except for the tell tale tingle when you touch the case." Are you sure you are not just feeling a vibration in the unit? There would have to be a very high voltage on the unit for you to feel it. The entire frame of the system should be hooked to the ground so if anything does short out you still should not feel anything. (just see smoke). I agree with anglin_fool. Open it up and see whats going on.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice