1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shockwave/Direct X Problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kydztoi, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kydztoi

kydztoi Thread Starter

I have a Gateway Celeron 366 computer-Although the computer originally came with Win 98, I am now operating with Me. I have a Tolstoy mother board.(Integrated Audio/1373 Video/NV3T 440BX Slot 1 motherboard). I have attempted to download and install both Direct X8 and Shockwave. I can download DX8, but the computer quits responding when I try to install. With the Shockway, it is totally unresponsive. The only way I can get off a site that has flash 5 is to control-alt-delete. I was told that the video driver may need to be upgraded, but have been unable to determine where to go- Gateway is uncooperative since I did not buy the Me Program from them- A friend told me that I may have to go back to Win 98 and try from there, but I would really like to keep Me- Any help would be wonderful!

2. radio operator

radio operator

3. kydztoi

kydztoi Thread Starter

:eek:
    I went to the location and downloaded the driver- much to my embarrassment, the driver I have is from 2000, so I never replaced it- Any idea why I am unable to use get Shockwave or Direct X? Some one said maybe my system is too old to handle it, but it's not that old! I am totally at a loss of what to do next. (except buy a new computer)

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    <a href=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q281967> This</a> is usually the cause of the failure of DirectX installs on Windows ME PCs. I suspect it may also be causing the problem with installing Shockwave, too. Try it and let us know what happens.

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I received this from Kydztoi via Private Messaging ......

Thank you ever so much, your instructions/reply, did the trick and now I'm back in order again. Again thank you!!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice