1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

shockwave flash plugin crash-info on fix???

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by brrr-it-knee, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brrr-it-knee

brrr-it-knee Thread Starter

im using Google chrome version 15.0.874.106 and while browsing the internet after awhile or using a graphic editor app/website my page will start slowing down than a window will popup with a shockwave flash plugin error message, i usually click wait instead of kill and it reloads but keeps happening too frequently, i did uninstall chrome and switched to firefox which however loaded more pages better but after awhile i got a plugin unresponsive error message on that browser too so i switched back to chrome because im more familiar with it and it must be more of a issue than just the browser. i appreciate any advice thanks :)
    these are the adobe programs i have installed:
    Adobe Air Version 2.7.0.19530
    Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX Version 10.3.181.34
    Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin Version 11.0.1.152
    Adobe Reader X (10.1.0) Version 10.1.0
    Adobe Shockwave Player 11.6 Version 11.6.1.629

i tried this possible fix already (didnt work on chrome instead of it saying shockwave message error it turned to just plugin unresponsive like on firefox):
    Click the Settings icon (Wrench in top right)

Select Options -> Under the Hood

In the Privacy section click the Content Settings button

In the Plug-Ins section click the Disable individual plug-ins... link

Click the +Details link in the top right

You will see two entries for the Shockwave plug-in. Once will reference gcswf32.dll and the other will reference NPSWF32.dll

Disable the plug-in that uses gcswf32.dll

2. TOGG

TOGG

Have a look at this thread; http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/1025269-adobe-flash-player-problems.html

As you will see if you follow the first link I supplied, Chrome has its own version of Flash built in so, as long as Chrome is kept up to date (it appears to update very frequently!), you should always have the latest Flash version.The latest Beta versions of Chrome (which you don't want) are in the 17 series so your current one may be out of date.

If you don't allow Chrome to update automatically you should probably check manually, the option should be somewhere under 'About'. Subject to your version being the latest one, it would probably be a good idea to re-enable both types of plugin if you haven't already done so.

I notice that your Active X version of the plugin is out of date, it should be the same version number as the other one, 11.0.1 52. This is the version needed for IE and you should update it, even if you don't use IE much, because Flash is a target for malware writers. If you follow the second link I posted you will find a detailed guide about how to update the IE version. It looks complicated but, if you're lucky, you may only have to carry out a few of the steps to get it done!

Note that if you use Adobe's special uninstaller as recommended, it will remove both your Flash plugins (but not Chrome's built in one). Therefore, if you use any alternative browser as well as Chrome (such as Firefox), you will need to follow the steps to reinstall the 'Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin Version 11.0.1.152' as well.

3. brrr-it-knee

thank you for your time and info i updated too all the new versions and that seemed to fix my issue :) thannks

4. brrr-it-knee

everything was working fine until i had acouple pages running at once and started using advance tools but instead of it saying shockwave flash it now says plugin unresponsive sometimes the page will load and error message will pop up and go away on its own before i can click wait, it froze my laptop page and had to kill task and lose all my unsaved work =/ any other ideas as to what the issue could be?

5. TOGG

TOGG

I personally don't know anything that might help but, if you can provide more details about exactly what it was you were doing when the latest problem happened, someone else may be able to help.

For example, do you mean web pages in a browser or some other documents when you refer to 'having a couple of pages running' and which 'advance(d)? tools' were you using, something in your browser, Flash, or another program, such as a word processor?

If you believe this problem is still Adobe related you could try updating your version of Shockwave to the latest one, 11.6.3.633, although I'm not sure how that particular software might be related to your current situation. As you might expect, there is also a special uninstaller that should be used for the Shockwave Player!

6. brrr-it-knee

the things i usually run through the browser are photobucket, picnik, through incognito to reduce CPU than i use extensions aviary and have the extension for picnik too but hardly use it i find via browser to be faster, while using these i also use have openoffice.org, photoscape and ticketcreator, the advance tools i ment were running via browser its just whenever i try to do more than one or two things on a website i will get the error message.

7. TOGG

TOGG

Just to be 110% clear, you are doing things with Chrome 'Advanced' tools when you get the error message?. I don't know anything about Chrome but I'm sure lots of people here do so, if you can re-create the problem and then copy/paste the full text of the error message(s) you see, someone, hopefully, should be able to help.

As I said, it seems unlikely that Adobe Shockwave Player has anything to do with your problem but, because the latest version is a security update, you should either update it or just uninstall the old version and wait to see which, if any, of your other programs stop working!

8. brrr-it-knee

no whenever im on a website usually the ones i posted above i will get the error message also usually when a video ad pops up too,but i could be checking my email and it will still pop up the error message says: "the following plugin has become unresponsive:unknown" or "the following plugin has crashed:shockwave player" than it'll ask me if i want to kill the plugin or wait for it to become active, i always hit wait and it comes back after 30secs. i just updated all my adobe programs and i still get the error message i was getting before i updated them. i also than went through and made sure i had the most recent version of all my software programs and security programs which i have Comodo Internet Security Premium...

9. TOGG

TOGG

Sorry I can't be any more help. Googling your error message brings up lots of results indicating that some Chrome users have been having problems like yours for some time.

I didn't attempt to read the details of many of the results but there didn't seem to be solution in those I did read (except for one, where somebody found a way to get you tube videos to work properly. It requires you to join some trial you tube are running which replaces Flash with their own software;http://www.youtube.com/html5?gl=GB)

What happens if you use Internet Explorer or Firefox (if you have it) to do the things that Chrome is having problems with?

10. brrr-it-knee

right i read about it and tried to fix it myself first before posting on here the only thing that worked for people was the steps i posted in my first post, when using internet explorer or firefox instead of it saying shockwave crash it will say plugin unresponsive:unknown, the error message still comes up just says unknown instead of shockwave..
    thanks for the ideas tho :)

11. TOGG

TOGG

Sorry about that, I should have re-read the earlier posts! The one thing that appears to be certain is that a plugin (or plugins) in all your browsers becomes unresponsive in some situations.

Chrome identifies 'Shockwave' as the culprit while your other browsers don't identify it at all. One possible difficulty is that the expression 'shockwave' can be used to refer to both the Flash Player and the Shockwave player itself. Another one is that Chrome can use its own integrated Flash plugin (or the one that is installed for use by all non Active X browsers), but adjusting Chrome to use only one of them doesn't seem to have made any difference. Have you tried that 'fix' again since updating all your Adobe software?

As you may have gathered from this waffling, I really don't know what else to suggest so, hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will join in.

12. TOGG

TOGG

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!