1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shockwave .swf

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by durant125, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. durant125

durant125 Thread Starter

Is there a program out there that reads shockwave files? And if there is does that program have a plugin for a web browser.

On another note I have Mandriva and am trying to upgrade to Firefox 2.0. My understanding is move the 2.0 firefox-bin into /usr/bin/ and the rest of the files into /home/name/.mozilla/firefox/

2. durant125

durant125 Thread Starter

K after reading up on flash player, my understanding is that is what i need to view an swf file. Hence my second problem, maybe?
    With my current version of Firefox 1.5.0.7 or 9 doesnt matter I try to open a an index.html file which points to several swf files, than firefox does its thing and says hey I need a plugin. Well when i go to install missing plugin it says cannot find plugin would u like to manually install it. I say sure than it leads me to Macromedia's site to install Flash Player 9 for linux. It's an RPM so i save to desktop and then double click and let her rip. Installs fine I think.
    Now the problem, when I reopen firefox with that file still says I'm missing the plugin. Now I am trying to upgrade to 2.0.0.1 to see if that solves my problem, but I am a newb so currently firefox is out of commision. : )

Unzipped and untarred into /home/name/.mozilla/
    Firefox 1.5.0.9 still works
    copied firefox-bin to /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox replacing the current working binary
    Firefox officially does not work
    removed firefox-bin from /home/name/.mozilla/firefox/
    firefox does not work still.

I need some help with this

3. vtel57

vtel57

Shockwave no workie in Linux. Sorry. :(

4. vtel57

vtel57

5. vtel57

vtel57

I'm sorry I can't assist you with the FF/Mandriva situation you're experiencing. I'm not familiar with Mandriva at all. You might try their support forum for some assistance.

http://forum.club.mandriva.com/index.php?op=En

Also, it's possible you can run Shockwave using WINE. I'm not sure, though. You'll have to research that further.

Luck!

6. durant125

durant125 Thread Starter

I'll give their forum a try they have already helped me with my video driver. Just to let u know my progress though i think i deleted some key files so I couldn't get Firefox or epiphany to work just reinstalled. I've downloaded Opera which plays the swf files fine except for no sound. I'm afraid this is as far as I will be able to get because I've tried several Linux flash players and they either did not read the files or also played with no sound.
    But for anyone looking to play Shockwave flash files Opera does it and it looks like they support many distros as I found one for Mandriva 2007 quite easily.

7. vtel57

vtel57

You should be able to play Flash files with FF, Opera, Epiphany, etc. You just need to install the Macromedia Flash on your system and the plugins for the browser.

However, as stated above somewhere, Shockwave is a TOTALLY different animal than Flash... apples and oranges. Linux does not have Shockwave capabilities at this time. You'll have to run Shockwave files with an emulator of some type while in Linux.

How ever things work out for you... best of luck. And remember to HAVE FUN while you're doing it! :)

8. Headrush

Headrush

Shockwave works great in Konqueror and Firefox using Codeweaver Office.
    (Sorry don't use Opera, so can't say for sure.)

9. durant125

durant125 Thread Starter

Thank You Headrush I currently have Codeweaver. How do I get a browser to recognize the plugin from my program files? I installed Shockwave using Win98 bottle (was default bottle) with the Netscape Plugin. Browsers still don't recognize .swf files.

10. Headrush

Headrush

Which browser?
    For konqueror you will have to go into the konqueror -> plugins section of kcontrol and select rescan to see the new plugin.

For Firefox, sometimes you have to touch the plugin files for the change to be seen. (navigate to plugin directory and just touch *

11. durant125

durant125 Thread Starter

I gave up for now and am just using IE6 from Crossover. I read that there is problems with 64 bit and shockwave i'll try downloading 32bit Firefox later and so forth when I am able to fx it i'll repost. Thanks for the help.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice