1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shoot Hackers

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by ramstein, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ramstein

ramstein Thread Starter

I know that several clever hackers are accessing my home network and I want to locate a proggy that has not got an 'anarakville' gui and that will enable me to locate the p***** who are messing around on my small network

I need software that can identify vulnerbale ports, the IP of hostile users of my ports and a simple to use Finger utility

Can anyone recommend a hacker unfriendly utility?

Please don't use masks replying to this message.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

First, let's keep the language civil, there are a few basic rules we go by here, and that's one of them.

You are not going to be able to do what you want. The IP's that any program would identify would not likely lead you to the source but at best to the ISP -- where you could notify Abuse.

It's much easier to deal with such problems by just installing a good, free firewall such as Zonealarm and be done with it.

This will in fact identify the IP of incoming and outgoing processes.

You might also consider Jammer, although I have no personal experience with it, it might be just what you are looking for:

http://www.agnitum.com/

For asssesing your current vulnerability, try SheildsUP:

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

3. ramstein

ramstein Thread Starter

In reply to Doormouse. Administrator

Language is relative

There are several words in the Oxford English Dictionary which I could use to decribe HACKERS but obviously this FORUM is run by hypersensitive Probably American lacklustres

Of course we have to begin any IT conversation with the statement 'The Americans have brought this pathetic worldwidenetworks situation upon us all' and therefore the expletives I use are out of frustration for the predicament of the IT industry in the UK THAT HAS TO RELY SOLELY on software produced by AMERICAN engineers.

The many loop holes and back doors that HACKERS use to gain access to networks run by Microsoft demonstrate to technicians the crap we all HAVE to use. So, you will perhaps forgive me for using the occasional expletive to express frustration about businesses that I deal with whose daily operations become vulnerable to badly written operating systems.

It has become singularly clear to me that it wouldn't take an Einstein to write a programme that can give SBE IT managers the facility to identifiy and trackdown hostile hackers. Ports could be interrogated realtime and the IP address of accessors identified and reported to the victim.

Why hasn't there been a readily available programme since INternet fell upon us in 1995 that can identify the source of port intrusions?

I have tried MegaPing. Tells me lots but not the IP if hackers. WHY?

Why the black secret?

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Thanks for the promotion :)

There are some technical barriers to such a scenario. For one thing a really smart hacker knows how to "spoof" an IP address. For another the ISPs must be relied upon to provide the identities of valid IPs and they must be convinced that an offense was involved.

When the internet was designed it was not created in a way that facilitates the precise tracing of all information that is sent through it. Routers and relays only care about destinations, not sources, so it makes that more difficult. But the times, they are a changin', and it may not be long before a true source ID has to accompany everything.

By the way we have a very good forum for ranting (Random Discussion), just so long as the discussion is kept reasonably polite.

5. ramstein

ramstein Thread Starter

So there's no security.

Incidentally, I don't think the internet has been 'designed' by anyone. It has been pushed along by zealous Americans who see it as another domain they can dominate. Consequently, it has come together in a sort of adhoc fashion, overseen by organisations whose main raison d'etre is more to do with setting
    standards for American businesses to prosper by and very little to do with security for the rest of us.

The reason I have posted to this forum is to find oout if anyone can recommend an easy to use port sniffer that can 'attempt' to identify the IP of the port violator or to alert user when the port is being accessed by an intruder. Also that can report on what executables are actually doing while they manage extraneous communications with other servers while the user is on line.

So far I have heard very little about what is available, apart from Black Ice, which, hmmm, looks like it is protecting the user but some folk tell me it doesn't do very much.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have a look at the utilities available from this outfit. I've dabbled with some of them, but have only limited experience in interpreting the more esoteric output.

http://www.sysinternals.com/win9x/98utilities.shtml

There is a professional version of TcpView available from them which may provide the kind of detail you want.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice