1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

shop guy says £90, I need new circuit board......

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cloglin1, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cloglin1

cloglin1 Thread Starter

Hi there first time poster here but trying to find out if a tech shop guy is <scamming> me to make some money. I own a HP pavilion 23-f340ea which was given to me. It supports touch screen which is the reason we were given it for our young daughter. After a full system wipe and a lot of updating, and the big one to 8.1 still not working. It registered some touches, but not consistently, not where I'd pressed and some areas of the screen just seemed dead. I tried calibrating it, updating the drivers and many other things. Nothing worked. Then one morning I turned it on, I think it did a few automatic updates not 100% sure, but it suddenly worked perfectly fine. Which was amazing. Later that day it had reverted back and was useless again. Not aware that I changed anything but the fact it worked made me think it can't be a hardware problem, must be a software one. Again days of trying to fix it to no avail so I took it to my local tech store. Called me back a few hours later saying it needed a new circuit board. Which will cost £90. Does that sound right as it did work, briefly, which suggested to me it must be a software issue. Please please can someone help I'm supposed to call him back this morning to let him know if he should go ahead and order the part.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015
  2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I have edited your post.
    This is a family friendly site

What circuit board ?
    Does that price include all parts and Labour ? seems very cheap to replace a motherboard

It is possible you have an intermittent hardware issue, its hard to tell.

How old is the PC?
    Has it ever worked correctly ?
    The person who gave it to you, did it work 100% for them

If you made a recovery set of DVDs or USB stick / flash drive - then you could try doing a fresh install of windows.
    You can do that from the recovery partition on the PC itself, BUT its always worth having a set of DVDs or USB stick/flash drive - in case that process fails at all

But as its at the workshop now , its difficult to tell
    What guarantee has the workshop given you that they are 100% certain, it is this part, and once they have repaired the PC the screen will work 100%, also how long is their work guaranteed for ?
    Once they have changed the board - you could always ask to check it at the store before paying them

3. cloglin1

cloglin1 Thread Starter

The AIO PC is maybe a couple years old now. And I know it did work at some stage, and the person who gave it to me said as far as he was aware it worked but it was his son who was using it and he's away and unreachable at the moment. Maybe it had already stopped working but he just used mouse and keyboard and wasn't aware. He didn't say what circuit board, is there a circuit board specifically for the touchscreen or would it be the motherboard? If the motherboard was faulty is it likely only the touchscreen would be effected? I can report no other problems with the system. But when I first got the computer I straight away did a fresh install and reinstalled windows and updated everything and still the same issue. Only that brief time when it worked great. I'm just wondering basically is it possible that a faulty circuit board could cause these symptoms? Is there a specific circuit board related to the touch screen or would it be the motherboard that relates to the touch screen? But I think its £90 for the circuit board and there will be labour on top. It just seemed strange that it worked okay for a while and I could easily be ripped off cos I don't know about hardware and very limited knowledge of software. Might just have to bite the bullet and as you say, check it works before I pay the man.Thanks for getting back to me though I appreciate it.

4. replay

replay

I would keep the 90 quid and buy a nice wireless kb & mouse

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Find out the details of what they intend to do before you pay.
    It IS a cheap price, but about right for a straight swap for a replacement off Ebay.

6. cloglin1

cloglin1 Thread Starter

okay I spoke to the guy at the shop again. And he asures me there is a card in my device speciafically for touchscreen? is there normally a card in devices for touchscreen? I didn't realise there was a specific bit of hardware like a card for this. I thought the only hardware was the touchscreen itself, and software so you can actually use it. Anyone know if there is a card for touchscreen? or is he blowing smoke up my "something" just to get me to pay and all he does is a software fix. any advice would be great.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148640

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice