Solved Shopping for New Desktop - AMD Ryzen or Intel 5?

Ovivtopher

Well, what do you all think - go for the HPM01-F1124 with the AMD Ryzen 5 4000; 12 GB ram; 1TB SSD or HP Slim S01-pF1048xt with i5 10400; 16 GB ram; 1 TB HDD; 256 GB SSD? I'm intrigued about the AMD's speed, but think the extra ram on the i5 would make up for it in speed. The Slim has a DVD reader/writer, the M01 does not, but I would guess if and when I need one, they're probably not very expensive to just plug in with a USB. Would appreciate your expert knowledge as to which system would be a better purchase. I use my desktop for work, with lots of open tabs, and store photos, docs, graphic images!

Couriant

James
If the Slim has a HDD and not SDD, I would go for the AMD machine.

There is not any software that you can't get online so a DVD drive is really not a solid make or break decision.

Ovivtopher

If the Slim has a HDD and not SDD, I would go for the AMD machine.

There is not any software that you can't get online so a DVD drive is really not a solid make or break decision.
The Slim has a 256 GB SSD. I assume this is for start up programs Win 10 and the additional 1TB HDD is used mostly for personal storage: docs, media, photos, etc. Question: do new programs know to install to the SSD drive or is that a selection I make upon installation? Does it matter where new programs go? So, the slim has both hard drives and the 16 ram with Intel 5.

crjdriver

Just about every program gives you the option as to where to install. You do have to select custom install when doing the install.
Are you sure about the 12gig of ram? Since all amd motherboards are dual channel and not triple channel, you would normally see 8gig, 16gig, 32gig etc. While some higher end amd motherboards will allow say a 4gig and an 8gig chip with 8gig in dual channel and 4gig in single channel, you are not going to find a board like that in a hp, dell, etc.

Ovivtopher

Just about every program gives you the option as to where to install. You do have to select custom install when doing the install.
Are you sure about the 12gig of ram? Since all amd motherboards are dual channel and not triple channel, you would normally see 8gig, 16gig, 32gig etc. While some higher end amd motherboards will allow say a 4gig and an 8gig chip with 8gig in dual channel and 4gig in single channel, you are not going to find a board like that in a hp, dell, etc.
Yes, it is a 12 mg with, I think a 4 and 8 gig combo from Best Buy - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questions/hp-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-12gb-1tb-ssd-jet-black/6454569?page=2

The 16 gig with i5 is from the HP site - https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-slim-desktop-s01-pf1048xt and with the AAA discount, it's a great price. I think this is my choice. Thanks for the input all. I won't have to keep posting about lag time!

crjdriver

For general use either one should workout ok for you. Neither one of these are suitable for gaming. If you do intend on running games, you will be disappointed in either of them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online