1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

shopping mini laptops/atom processors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by armly, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. armly

armly Thread Starter

The newer mini laptops, they mainly run on atom processors, right?

Are these enough (given adequte ram) to run applications?

I'm thinking Word mainly. Yet even on the older P4 processors, Word didn't exactly open in a snap. In fact it was pulling through an outright slumber just to announce itself. Say for the later version P4's, roughly 2004 or thereabouts, have these new atoms reached the same levels of processing or maybe even surpassed them? The machine will likely stay offline.

I do understand that the atom's take only about 4 watts of power, to conserve battery life which is important for my uses. But I need a machine that runs dependably and without much worry and lights a decent resolution screen viewable to many angles, prompted by a full size keypad. Oh and yes, one that I can replace the batteries on.

- Any tips appreciated. I've gotten some great help here.

2. Hughv

Hughv

My 9" Dell Mini came with Open Office and performs more than adequately as a word processing machine. I do have a full-size wireless keyboard and mouse attached, but that might not be necessary with a 10" machine.
    I would consider thus computer near worthless if it wasn't online.

3. armly

armly Thread Starter

What do you use for word processing? I like the nine hours worktime on that.

4. Hughv

Hughv

Open Office is a complete suite comparable to MS Office. It's free and mostly compatible.
    My Dell is a couple of years old, and the battery life never exceeded 4 hours.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice