1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Short Cut Icon (image) changing slightly??

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by HOBOcs, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    I've just noticed my desktop shortcut icons are being modified slightly.
    Usually there is an arrow pointing up and the bottom of the shortcut icon.

Over the last few days.. I've noticed this "Arrow" changing to various other images or partial images.

I've just ran all the latest Adaware, Spybot and Norton Live updates and ran a full scan on my PC and the complete network. Deleted Temp files & Internet files. HijackThis appears to be clean. I've recently loaded Spyblaster and that has been the latest new thing other than Windows Critical Updates and the Norton Live Updates

When I reboot they clean up and then when I go into "Windows Explorer" they may or may not get changed. :confused:

This one is strange and I'm looking for assistance or someone who may be experiencing the same issue.

2. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    I'm still getting this strange occurance.

Desktop Short-Cuts normally appear with a small arrow superimposed over top of the program icon in the lower left corner.

When ever I go into "Windows Explorer" to display a directory or a file, I see my screen fluctuate a bit. THen when I return to my desk top the program icons have the small arrow replaced with smonthing else (ususal a partial image of another icon... this image varies from time to time)

I wondering if anyone has come accross this issue OR knows what Reg key or whatever sets the arrow image on top of the program icon. (If I can find that maybe I can find out what replaces the image.

Still having problem.

Does anyone know where

3. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Continue to have this issue.
    Noticed that the image used in place of the lower left arrow is being replaced by a the lower left corner of one of my other desktop icons. Each time I log in and then recreate the issue... the arrow is replaced by another image ...from a different icon on my desktop. (I'll post different images shortly)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!