1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

short cut

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by army, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. army

army Thread Starter

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel."
    How do I overcome this problem in order that I can short cut from desktop shortcut to internet explorer?

2. ViprXX

ViprXX

what kind of file are you trying to open?

3. Jscuzza

Jscuzza

So basically you are trying to put an IE shortcut onto your desktop because you old one does not work??

First you have to go to C Drive>Program Files>Internet Explorer> RIght Click iexplorer and send it to desktop. That will leave a shortcut of IE on your desktop... if that is what you are trying to do that is.

4. army

army Thread Starter

No thats not what I am trying to do.
    Say I go into a site and want to return to it later so I go into file and send a shortcut to desktop. However when I want to return to that site using the desktop shortcut, I get this message.
    "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing
    this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel."
    How do I overcome this problem in order that I can short cut from desktop shortcut to internet explorer?

5. army

army Thread Starter

6. ViprXX

ViprXX

Right Click on the desktop shortcut and choose "Open With..." and select the choose program... option, then scroll through the programs untill you see Internet Explorer and choose that one and make sure to put a check in the box that says "Always use selected program to open this kind of file". Or why don't you just save the website you want to revisit in your internet explorer Favorites (goto website, then click Favorites and choose Add to Favorites).

7. army

army Thread Starter

Thanks ViprXX, will follow part 2 of your advice, thanks very much for that, regards Army

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice