1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Short in power supply??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spaceman_333, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spaceman_333

spaceman_333 Thread Starter

Howdy,

A neighbor just showed up in my den/office with his computer.

In brief, with everything turned off......when the electrical cord is plugged into the power supply, the keyboard flashes and the lights come on the router and stay lit. Have not hit the "on" button yet.

What, if anything, is wrong here??

Thank you.

Spaceman

2. brianF

brianF

If you turn the computer on does it boot?????

Sounds like wake on lan is enabled in the bios, that would explain the router part, not 100% on the keyboard unless wake on keyboard has also been enabled. Some motherboards can assign a keyboard key to power on the computer, that could account for the keyboard activity

3. spaceman_333

Hi brianF,

Lan is enabled in BIOS. Wake on keyboard- disabled.

When my computer shuts down, the router lights go off.

Sometimes it boots ---sometimes not. It's acting weird. he said that everything was great and he was online working and all of a sudden the screen went black and a reboot started. When booted, the sound was gone.....then the cable connection went a few boots later.

??

Spaceman

4. brianF

brianF

Ah well, so much for explaining it, bah.

Could be a malfunctioning power supply, ram, short on the motherboard, overheating due to a bad fan, etc. All would cause the shutdown, why the keyboard stays lit, hmmm

Does it do it with a different keyboard

wish I could help more

5. spaceman_333

I sent him home....work on it tomorrow. Kept the 'puter. It will be easier this way!!

SM

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice