1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shortcut Bar

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by carole, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carole

carole Thread Starter

Hi: I have the Microsoft Office XP Shortcut bar 2002. When I start my computer it shows up but then disappears and then I have to go to start, programs, micorsoft tools, then clik on shortcut bar to activate it so that it will show up as a toolbar or taskbar whatever you call it on my desktop.

Is there any way I can fix it so that it will come on automatically and stay. I have tried to exit it and then when its says do you want it to start automatically next time puter starts I press yes.
    Like i said before it will come up but then disappears. Thanks for your advice.

2. dagiftolife@

[email protected]

If you go into control panel under add/remove hardware, look for the microsoft office title and click Change on it.

once in there you can either
    1. uninstall and reinstall the microsoft office toolbar
    2. detect and repair your microsfot office.

if htese dont work, check for updates on the microsoft office xp updates page.

-Matt

3. Tushman

Tushman Banned

Carole, as an alternative, why don't you consider just draggin and placing the icons on your Quick Launch bar? Uses less resources on your PC and can have as many icons as you want.

4. carole

carole Thread Starter

On my question about shortcut bar. No1 I don't have microsoft office in y add/remove items. Only office 97.
    I also don't have change there either. Now my shortcut office xp shortcut bar 2002 gone completely. Lost!!!

Any other suggestions?

5. Tushman

Tushman Banned

Carole, this is very straightforward process.

For example: Go to Start | Program > Microsoft Office > MS Word Right click on it. In your list of context menu options choose "Send To" > "Create Shortcut (on desktop)"... it will create a shortcut icon on your desktop.

Once you've done that, L-click on the icon, and drag it to your quicklaunch bar. Now you have a quick easy way to start MS Word.

Once you're done you should see the Word Icon on your quicklaunch bar. See the attached screenshot as an example.

Attached Files:

6. carole

carole Thread Starter

I realize i can use the quick launch, but i had a bar on top of that that was office, it was Microsoft Office XP Shortcut Bar 2002. and on it I had my word, picture it, winsim, etc on it. But its totally gonenow. And if i go to p\f , ms tools, on the sidebar of it there used to be MS Office Shortcut Bar and if i cliked on it it would come on top pf the other toolbar, where the start button is.

I really would like to use the one i had for office back. Does this make any sense to you?

7. Tushman

Tushman Banned

Carole, in order to get your MS Office shortcut bar back, you will need to re-install MS office. I don't know of any other way to do it. Perhaps someone else can help you.

In order to avoid having to reinstall the application i am giving you an alternative method that is in effect the same gol darn thing. Like i said in my previous response, i personally prefer to use it cuz it is somewhat less taxing on your memory and system resources. Good luck.

8. carole

carole Thread Starter

To reinstall the ms office would that be included in the works suite 2002?
    And then if not how would I get it?

And also if you cna't help me there then I will do what you said
    but have one other question. On my quick launch I have incredimal, IE, Show desktop, View channels, Media player,Kazza lite, netscape, netscape mail. Now I would rather have on there my winsim, print shop, word, MSworks, calculator, Picture it, with the IE, Kazza lite Media, View channels. The others don't matter if they are on the quick launch that i noted above. So now that you have told me how to add these new ones, how do i rid myself of the ones I don't want.

One last question? I have in my startup list, MS Office and also Office startup. Seeing if I put these new items on the quick launch then would I just disable the MS Office and Office startup in my msconfig. Thank you for being so helpful.

9. DVOM

DVOM

Try putting a shortcut to your shortcut bar in your startup folder. Not sure of XP's file system but in w2k I go to "C>documents and settings>DVOM>start menu>programs>startup". Everything you put in there will start at bootup.

As for unwanted items in your quick launch bar, just right click and delete each one you don't want.

10. carole

carole Thread Starter

Thank you for your help, but got it figured out. Dreamboat was a big help. Got my old office toolbar back . I have the office toolbar that i really like and also the start toolbar that i use as well for other quick launches.
    Thanks for your interest in trying to help me out.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice