1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shortcut in CD Burn

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by grambo1378, Jun 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grambo1378

grambo1378 Thread Starter

I am trying to create a cd for use with my customers. I have a presentation prepared by my company that requires multiple files to run. The .exe file has to be in the same folder as these required files. I want to create a shortcut so that when the CD is browsed the shortcut and folder is all they see, rather than have to find the .exe file. I can do this with a standard shortcut on my desktop, but if I burn that to a cd, it looks for the path on the desktop rather than a path within the cd.

I want to keep this easy for non-literate people to easily double click on the only icon showing on the CD when they open the drive option.

Any help on how I can do this?

2. putasolution

putasolution

Your biggest problem is going to be is what letter the cd rom drive of the local PC has been assigned

You could try using something along the lines of "..\filename.exe" as the pathname in the hyperlink

3. Rockn

Rockn

4. grambo1378

Trying \filename doesn't work. It needs a valid path.

Is there any way to designate a path within the cd not knowing the drive letter it will be in?

I use nero to burn. Is there any way within nero to do this rather than predefining the shortcut?

5. grambo1378

That sounds like a solution, but I need quick help on how to do it?

Could you walk me through it?

6. Rockn

Rockn

THe example is there on the link I gave you. Open notepad, paste the example I gave you and save it as autorun.txt and then rename it from in Windows Explorer. Once it is done burn it to the CD with the application but make sure it is in the root of the CD-ROM you burn.

[AutoRun]
    open=filename.exe
    icon=CD-Icon.ico (only if you want a custom icon otherwise delete the line)

7. putasolution

putasolution

Did you use the Quotation marks?

8. grambo1378

it seems to be autoloading, but I get a path error. Access denied

I have the .exe file in a folder called files and my filename is below. This is one of a few versions I have tried:

[AutoRun]
    open=\files\NOVA CCx Demo.exe

Where am I wrong on syntax

9. dr20

dr20

You know when you put your Windows 98SE disk in the drive you get that big blue menu box? Well this is how the autorun is written for it:

[autorun]
    OPEN=CDSAMPLE\AUTORUN\AUTORUN.EXE
    ICON=CDSAMPLE\AUTORUN\WIN98CD.ICO

CDSAMPLE\AUTORUN\AUTORUN.EXE is the path to the program.

10. grambo1378

With my folder name and filename, can anyone just syntax this for me? I am just not getting it. I know I am close. It is trying to load.

Again, the folder where the .exe file is located is "Files", and the filename is "NOVA CCx Demo.exe

11. dr20

dr20

[autorun]
    OPEN=FILES\NOVA CCx DEMO.EXE

Is that how you're writing it?

12. grambo1378

Yes. That is how I am trying. Copied your text and re-tried. Received Access to specified path, device or file is denied.

This file does work if I burn and double click the .exe. I just wanted to reduce the clutter by putting everything into the "Files" folder and either creating a single shortcut or autorun file so people wouldn't have to browse through a bunch of clutter to find the files. :confused:

Any other suggestions.

13. dr20

dr20

Can you just temporarily rename the .exe file so it reads like this:

Demo.exe

then try this:

[autorun]
    OPEN=FILES\DEMO.EXE

14. grambo1378

Thanks for the help. I am just going to leave the clutter and let them deal with it. Thought I could set up a shortcut and put everything else in a folder to look nice. When that seemed too difficult to figure out a path, the autorun was a good option, but no luck. So I will take my ball and go home.

Thanks again for the effort.

15. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You may need to put the path in quotes if there are spaces in the filename or path.

A while back we used to recommend programs that would create a cd startup menu. But I dont remember what they were.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/236753