Shortcut Keys in Word 2003

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vocalhouse

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to assign a shortcut key to Edit Paste Special. To do this, I go to Tools --> Customize --> Click on Commands --> Click on Keyboard --> Then I assign the keyboard shortcut that I want --> Click on Assign (which should save it into Normal.dot).

My problem is whenever I shut down Word and restart it or reboot my computer, the shortcut key I assigned doesn't work! It seems it's not saved into the Normal.dot (I think). Any ideas how to fix this?

I've had the same problem when I try to change the default margin, font, and font size. Normal.dot is not saving my changes.

I am running this on a machine with Windows XP Professional and with all the latest Microsoft patches installed (as of the 7/12/05 Microsoft update).

Anne Troy

Anne
Is this PC on a network? Where's your normal.dot file? Do you have rights to its location?

vocalhouse

I log on to a network but the Normal.dot file is located in my hard drive (under documents and settings). I was able to create this shortcut key in my former computer (this is a new computer).

Anne Troy

Anne
Yep. Okay. Go into documents and settings and save a file in that folder. Can you? If not, normal.dot isn't saving either. Then again, normal.dot could be read only, too. Have you checked its properties?

You found normal.dot on your hard drive, or you found that Word is definitely pointing to your hard drive (tools-options, file locations tab)?

vocalhouse

Ok, I was able to save a text file created with Notepad into the documements and settings/application data/microsoft/templates folder. I also checked the properties and Read-Only is NOT checked.

Word is also saving Normal.dot into the microsoft/templates folder (I checked the Tools-Options-File Locations Tab). I was also able to find the Normal.dot file using Search and it is located in the same folder as where Word is pointing to.

Anne Troy

Anne
I'm a little lost.

So, you found normal.dot? Can you open it, change it, save it, delete it? Anything?

vocalhouse

Yes I found it (using 2 different methods -- a search using the Search command found in the Start button and the Tools-Options command in Word). When I double click on Normal.dot, it opens a blank document. I was also able to rename it. I was also able to delete it (after saving a backup copy).

Yep, it's a stumper alright! Thanks for all the suggestions though!

Anne Troy

Anne
Okay. I'm lost.

When you double-click normal.dot, you're not opening it. You're creating a file based on it. To open normal.dot, you need to File-->Open from Word or right-click and open from Windows.

I can't figure out, from what you've said, if your problem is solved or not.

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Login ID\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

You must "Right Click" on "Normal.dot"
Select "Open "
Go to "Tools"
Selcect "Customize"
Select "Keyboard"
From the "Categories" menu, select "Edit"
In the right panel, select "PasteSpecial"
Under "Press New Shortcut Key:" section, type "Alt" or "Ctrl", plus any letter
Press "Assign"
Press "Close"
Go to "File", "Save" and "Close"

Open an new page and this should work.

Brandy

vocalhouse

Sorry for the confusion Dreamboat -- the problem is not fixed.

Brandyph: I did what you wrote and it didn't work.

Again, thanks for all your suggestions though.

I tried it before I forward the instructions to you. If you make the error of not "Right Clicking" on the "Normal.dot” and select “Open”, it will only come up, as "Document1" and it will not work.

Trust me; try again

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online