1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shortcut keys slowness.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Deathblow, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

I've been wondering, why is it when I click on a shortcut on the desktop or under Start/Programs the program comes up instantly, but when I type in the shortcut keys, it can take forever for it to respond?

2. ndesouza

ndesouza

I too have this problem with XP. It can sometimes take a minute before the application loads - within which time it seems like Explorer has hung - because you cannot load the taskbar.

Anyone else experience this or (better still) have a solution ?

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

I have seen this happen under two different conditions.

One is when I was had a Novell client installed.

The other when I had a system that sort of "lost its mind" in knowing about some file associations. To fix the 2nd I just reinstalled Windows, (not wiping out the old installation, just putting one install over the other to "clean" things up).

To fix the 1st issue, when having the Novell client, I just removed the Novell client. I didn't really need it for what I was doing, anyway.

Good luck!

4. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

Well, I did re-install XP recently, and things are much faster, as always. I think clutter is the ultimate culprit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice