Shortcut keys slowness.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Deathblow

I've been wondering, why is it when I click on a shortcut on the desktop or under Start/Programs the program comes up instantly, but when I type in the shortcut keys, it can take forever for it to respond?

I too have this problem with XP. It can sometimes take a minute before the application loads - within which time it seems like Explorer has hung - because you cannot load the taskbar.

Anyone else experience this or (better still) have a solution ?

I have seen this happen under two different conditions.

One is when I was had a Novell client installed.

The other when I had a system that sort of "lost its mind" in knowing about some file associations. To fix the 2nd I just reinstalled Windows, (not wiping out the old installation, just putting one install over the other to "clean" things up).

To fix the 1st issue, when having the Novell client, I just removed the Novell client. I didn't really need it for what I was doing, anyway.

Good luck!

Deathblow

Well, I did re-install XP recently, and things are much faster, as always. I think clutter is the ultimate culprit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online