shortcuts missing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jbender1

Helping out a friend whose laptop suddenly decided to forget he was ever on it before. It was acting up (he did not give me details on this part - he was just doing 'regular work') so he shut down then restarted - it appeared to him that when it booted back up he had lost all previously loaded programs like word, excell. email, and itunes. It seemed to have returned to original state .

When I checked it out all his data is there - just the shortcuts are missing - almost like it forgot his profile and everything he had setup. It is also running painfully slow and you get numerous (not responding) comments even when doing simple things like opening exployer.

I'm not a Vista user - his the the first one I've seen - so any help would be great.

His user profile may be corrupted. This has been known to happen, whether using Vista or XP. Try recreating his profile, and chaulk it up to a fluke this time. But if it happens again, you may want to dig a little deeper.

jbender1

Would a corrupt profile make it run so slow that its almost un-usable?

Not necessarily, but who knows. Complete specs on your machine would be helpful. Also, check to see how many programs you have running down in the system tray.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online