1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

shortcuts missing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jbender1, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jbender1

jbender1 Thread Starter

Helping out a friend whose laptop suddenly decided to forget he was ever on it before. It was acting up (he did not give me details on this part - he was just doing 'regular work') so he shut down then restarted - it appeared to him that when it booted back up he had lost all previously loaded programs like word, excell. email, and itunes. It seemed to have returned to original state .

When I checked it out all his data is there - just the shortcuts are missing - almost like it forgot his profile and everything he had setup. It is also running painfully slow and you get numerous (not responding) comments even when doing simple things like opening exployer.

I'm not a Vista user - his the the first one I've seen - so any help would be great.

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

His user profile may be corrupted. This has been known to happen, whether using Vista or XP. Try recreating his profile, and chaulk it up to a fluke this time. But if it happens again, you may want to dig a little deeper.

3. jbender1

jbender1 Thread Starter

Would a corrupt profile make it run so slow that its almost un-usable?

4. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

Not necessarily, but who knows. Complete specs on your machine would be helpful. Also, check to see how many programs you have running down in the system tray.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!