1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shortcuts will not delete

Discussion in 'Games' started by grifval10, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grifval10

grifval10 Thread Starter

I have discovered 2 shortcuts that have attached themselves to my GAMES folder on my START window. They are SimCity and Steam:Dark Messiah ,Might and Magic: Single player. They will not delete. If I drag them to the Recycle Bin they just appear again. I have tried to delete them in Safe Mode but they will not. There is no 'properties' on the right click, only options:
    Play
    Copy
    Pin to start Menu
    Add to Quick Launch
    Customise.......
    Hide this game.

I do not know how they have appeared there. Windows Defender, Sybot&D, AdAware state I have no problems and my PC is running normally. I have looked for references in my Registry but cannot find any. There are no programs of these names in my Program Files, so I presume they are for playing on the Internet? Please help.

How can I get rid of these shortcuts. Many thanks.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you just right-click, Delete?

3. grifval10

grifval10 Thread Starter

No, no 'delete' option

4. grifval10

grifval10 Thread Starter

I am also having a problem with drop-down menus and slide bars. Approx once per day they go unstable. They can't be controlled with mouse, and the menus have a running bar going up and down them. The slide bars move on their own , up and down. WEIRD !!!!!!!!!! Do you think that has something to do with a display driver?

5. grifval10

grifval10 Thread Starter

All my Anivirus checks/malware check/spyware checks/ Windows Defender say my PC HAS NO PROBLEMS !

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

All shortcuts should have Delete as an option in their context menu? Is it missing for other files, too? Can you highlight the shortcuts and use the Del key?

If you are having problems with the actual shell, you ought to consider a reinstallation.

7. grifval10

grifval10 Thread Starter

In the dropdown Vista's 'Organise' menu, the DELETE is available for all other shortcuts in the Games folder but greyed out for these 2 specific ones. I have never installed them, so can only think they have been installed from the Internet. Don't know a reason why my menus and slidebars go crazy once in a while, so I am going to have a good clean inside my PC in case the graphics card/ fan is dusty. Can't think of anything else to do.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Instead of deleting the shortcuts, try to uninstall the programs. Are they listed in Programs and Features?

9. grifval10

grifval10 Thread Starter

Thanks for helping me. No, they are not listed anywhere when I do searches in Registry, Files and folders, Programs and features. I am going to do a manual search trawling through the HD. I will get back to you with my results.
    Valerie

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you tried a new display driver? Though uncommon, I've seen a bad driver have only some minor GUI effects.

11. grifval10

grifval10 Thread Starter

I did install an ATI catylist driver a little while ago, and did think of going back to previous driver.

12. grifval10

grifval10 Thread Starter

50% success!

Have found one folder in Drive C: called MAXIS. Found out that was who made Sim City. Deleted folder and the shortcut in my 'Games' folder disappeared.

I still cannot find any trace on my PC of :
    Steam:Dark Messiah, Might and Magic: Single Player.

I have never installed this. I am at a loss.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

14. grifval10

grifval10 Thread Starter

HI Elvandil, thanks for all the help. I checked and found an ATI updated driver and installed that, I am monitoring now to see if the problem with the menus and slidebars disappears.
    I check my PC all the time with Windows Defender, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware2007 and AVG. They all report that I have no problems and my system is running normally. I may try a couple of different ones thay you have recommended.
    Could that shortcut for Dark Messiah Might & Magic have been installed from something on the Internet?
    Valerie

15. willium

willium

hello
    if you are facing problem. then simply you have to format C:\ drive and then install the windows and software. u will not face any problem.
    -----------------
    dress up games|makeover games|cooking games |

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice