1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shorted my power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrisdab, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrisdab

chrisdab Thread Starter

Shorted my power supply

This is kinda funny

I stuck a screwdriver into my power supply fan so that I could test noise levels without the fan. Well even though the computer was off, it sparked. Now my computer wont start. Do I need a new case? Did I cause damage to other parts of the computer.

Thanks
    Chris

2. RedHelix

RedHelix

The computer may have been off, but the power supply was still feeding power to the motherboard. You have to unplug the power cable and wait at least 10 seconds before even considering doing work on your PSU.

You'll definitely want to visit newegg and pick out a new power supply. As for other parts, I can't say... when a power supply blows out, sometimes it takes other parts with it. Usually that only happens as a result of a power surge, but there's never any way to be certain. Get the new power supply, and if you still can't power on, you might be shopping for a new motherboard as well.

3. winbob

winbob

Red, 10 seconds will buy you the shock of your life!! :eek: Capacitors can hold a charge longer than that!!

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

How exactly do you test noise levels when the computer is off?

5. winbob

winbob

I expect he was going to turn it on after he pegged the fan...not a good plan in the first place.

6. RedHelix

RedHelix

That's how I've handled PSUs for as long as I can recall... if I die at the hands of a power supply, winbob, I'll make sure that you're the first to know. ;D

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Winbob is right some of the capacitors in there will hold a charge for hours if not days enough to knock you on your keyster. You may be a lucky person to not have been shocked already.

IMHO pinning the fan for just a few seconds wouldn't be bad if you were running an external fan into the assembly. My suggestion if you want to try this in the future is not use a metal conductive screwdriver and to have a desktop fan running.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    A clean popsicle stick is a wonderful thing it is non conductive and it will hold fans in place plus is strong enough to use as a push stick in some instances. I actually went out and bought a pack of these at Big Lots for 99 cents. had 50 sticks in the pack. Now if I can just keep my daughter out of them.

9. winbob

winbob

Red,

You won't have to let me know the smell of burning flesh and hair will be a DEAD giveaway. :eek:

10. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH

Just remember when you do something inside the computer you either dont touch the parts much, or that you at least wear a static strap. Also at very least you would be using some sort of system (switch\fuse in the power box, plug or mutli plug thing). Make sure you check them (normally reset, which is a button somewhere), and you could be totaly lucky and a switch needs to be reset.

Yeah, thats also a very good suggestion.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are going to open a ps, unplug it and then push the power button two or three times. The first time you press it, you will probably see the power led flash for a brief time. This will discharge the caps and it will now be safe to open.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice