1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

should corporate missions be restructured to profits contingent upon ethics?

Discussion in 'Controversial Topics' started by nittiley, Jul 13, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. nittiley

nittiley Banned Thread Starter

optional if anyone wants to debate it..

should a corporation's sole function be to incur profit, or should it have mandatory ethical safeguards in place?
    --------

1 example of, sadly, so many horrific breaches in today’s corporate world.

-----------------------

more lives ruined, destroyed, or impacted negatively -- except in a less obvious way when compared to the above example.

a 2003 article below, still pertinent. unethical business practices benefitting the few at the expense of many appears to be destroying what capitalism was suppose to be.

on the republican side(1 of a likely very long list!), *temporary owners* destructively seeking quick money describes bain capital. we also have jon corzine of mf global for the democrats, & PFGbest is officially listed as an apolitical organisation.

2. Wino

Wino

If we would adopt the Chinese method of handling miscreant and crooked corporate people - execution - I believe the possibility of wrong doing by them would be greatly reduced - not eliminated, but reduced (after all the DP does not prevent people from murdering - it just prevents them from doing it again).(y)

3. pyritechips

pyritechips Jim

My business knowledge is almost non-existent and I don't track socio-economic trends but from what I have seen there tends to be a drift away from ethics in business and a focus on profit-above-all-else policy. I did see a documentary about the toxic derivative market that interviewed the very people that developed the technique. They were very frank and candid about what they were doing and how, despite feeling that it was wrong, were seduced by the extremely large profits that they were earning.

4. nittiley

nittiley Banned Thread Starter

you can't kill them :eek:! (surely you jest..) they have to be re-trained & given new jobs.. maybe harvesting produce on a seasonal basis, or working at walmart for a while would expand their horizons! (y)

agreed -- the financial sector seems to have internalised a lack of ethics, at least considering this (only 1 -3 of the excuses..).

5. poochee

poochee

The love of money is the root of all evil. I expect no change.

6. buffoon

buffoon

actually, rather not.

Seeing how the title holds a question and challenge and thus provokes answers that are most likely to arouse controversy, it's been changed to debate.

7. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

Well... I tend to not engage in Corporate Greed discussions, as I feel a lot of it is Class Envy talk.

However, the Penn State instance is totally unacceptable. To put the Game of Football above the well-being of kids and any hint of moral decision-making... is sad.

8. Bastiat

Bastiat

You all of course realize that Penn State is, in fact, a state created not-for-profit corporation and therefore has no profit motivation. :rolleyes:

9. 1956brother

1956brother

todays, corperate world is profit above everything else. even, worse for the most part it is short term profits not long term goals.

when, an employee is looking to get a eight or nine figure salary plus bonus at the end of the year, do you really think he/she cares about ethics ?

i love it when, corpertations talk about maximizing shareholders returns. this is pure bs. they want to maximize their own returns.

in todays corperate world it will never happen.

as the man said "greed is good" in todays world it is only about greed...for themselves.

10. ekim68

ekim68 Mike

Even the Non-Profits are profits for someone. I heard that the CEO of United Way rakes in well over $500,000.00 a year...:confused:

11. poochee

poochee

I check before I donate. I dropped them a long time ago. http://www.charitywatch.org/aboutaip.html

12. buffoon

buffoon

.........having a hopeful spell, are we?:D

13. Littlefield

Littlefield

But the football program has profit motivation ;)
    http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest...l-Louis-Freeh-report-hurt-Penn-State-football

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2011/12/22/college-footballs-most-valuable-teams/

14. Bastiat

Bastiat

And the state subsidy to the college is reduced. There is no profit and the quoted statements are misleading. Yes the football program generates more than it costs but that additional income goes back to the college and offsets operating costs paid by the state of Pennsylvania.

15. Bastiat

Bastiat

You of course realize how silly this sounds. First, you are comparing corporate profit to someone's income. :confused: Second, you make it sound like people who work for non-profits i.e. United Way (as opposed to not-for-profits) are suppose to work for free. Can we agree that's silly?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060825