1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should external drives be left on?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matrim, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matrim

    matrim Thread Starter

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2004
    Messages:
    197
    I have an external hard drive i leave on constantly. 75% of the time I use it, the other 25% I could probably turn it off. Is this necessary? If I turn it on and off, will it go out faster or will leaving it on make it go faster?
     
  2. telegramsam

    telegramsam

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2006
    Messages:
    1,085
    How often do you use it? Turning it off and on multiple times a day puts a little extra wear and tear on it, but leaving it on all the time consumes power...

    To summarize, it depends on how you use it.
    That's a hard question to answer--if you use it once a week to do back ups, then go ahead and shut it down when you're not using.

    Speed of the drive depends on how you keep it clean and defragged.
     
  3. MysticEyes

    MysticEyes Banned

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2002
    Messages:
    4,825
    Those are questions that no one can really answer. Many will offer various reasons for and against each option. My only concern would be heat build up. You want a decent external case that keeps the drive as cool as possible as heat can cause drives to fail prematurely. Newer internal faster drives can also run hot if stacked directly on top of each other (separate them) and are not in the airflow patterns of your case (mount them low in front of the front air input vent).
     
  4. kame_sanjo

    kame_sanjo

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2005
    Messages:
    178
    yea i have a lil 500gb external that i leave on all the time, i use it for total backup. it never works (moves data) until i put a few things on or copy a couple things i need temporarily. i try to make it work as very little as i can.
     
  5. JohnWill

    JohnWill Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2002
    Messages:
    106,418
    I have a stack of USB drives for backup, and I turn them off when they're not in use. I also have some network attached storage drives that are on 24/7. The NAS drives all power down the disk when they're not active, so overheating isn't an issue with them.
     
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536894

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice