1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Should I be giving out a hardware ID?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by GreggIllinois, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GreggIllinois

GreggIllinois Thread Starter

I got interested here at Tech Support Guy in Sandboxie, and in the process of researching found that SHADE sandbox home edition was simpler, so I decided to get it. But in the License Agreement it asks for name, email address (which I'm fine giving them), and a hardware i.d. Here's what it says:

Our activation system generates license key which is saved in the registry of Windows. This license key is made for your particular machine and , thus, once you copy this key onto another machine, it will be invalid. This way we prevent illegal copying of the product. The information we collect include : your name , email, and a hardware id. The hardware id is a string based on information about CPU, installed network cards and operating system. We collect your name and e-mail in order to be able to identify your licenses on our server. Should you have any problems with activation, we will search our database for your name and e-mail to find your licenses. You are free to provide us fake name, such as nickname or any random string if you don’t want us to collect your real name. In that case, however, you should mention that nickname in case you contact our support for technical or other reasons.
    By installing this product you give us a permission to collect personal data mentioned above. You will provide your personal information such as e-mail and name during purchase of the product, installation and/or activation process. Please note, that an anonymous trial key is included in the product. It is not linked to your name and e-mail. However, an hardware id will be generated, which is based on your CPU, OS and network card data. This information can be removed from our servers immediately upon your request – just let us now via e-mail: [email protected]. Please note, that in case we remove your information from our servers, we will have to remove your license key as well. You will still be able to use your installed copies of the product, but once you will attempt to activate a new copy with your key, the activation will fail because our server will not recognize your key.

Do I want to be giving them this hardware i.d.? What are the downsides of them having it? And if I give it to them, and I email them to remove it, do I trust that they will?

And Sandboxie (Sophos) wants my name, email, job role, company name. I don't know but they'll probably want the hardware id, too, right?

Thanks

2. britekguy

britekguy

To me there's no disadvantage, and they're actually generating a hardware ID based on the actual pieces of hardware they mention that are parts of your system, much like Microsoft does based on a system's motherboard to create a Windows 10 license key.

Ask yourself, to what earthly nefarious purpose could such a generated identification key be used? It's nothing more than a way, based on the actual hardware in your system (probably using its serial numbers, but that's a semi-educated guess) to create a primary key so that their servers can map a license to a given computer, provided none of the component parts used to generate the key are swapped out.

Also consider what the product is that the company is offering, what it's reason for existence is, and how counterproductive to said company's reputation it would be to put such information to nefarious use were that even possible. It would be like the folks at a VPN company handing out personally identifiable information to hackers - a way to instantly destroy not the person who's information you've disseminated but your own business.

Businesses that have security as their primary reason for being are extremely unlikely to ever do anything to compromise same. It would be business suicide. Businesses may do many things that may not be in their customer's best interests, but seldom do anything that go against their own, and in the case of a business model based on security that means security and privacy both are key elements of that model.

GreggIllinois likes this.
  3. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    My current version of Sandboxie for my Win 10 computer was downloaded before Sophos acquired Sandboxie.
    There was no questionnaire at that time.

I saw no request for hardware ID from Sophos.
    If it bothers you to provide the info, just make it up.
    You'll still get the download.

Shade seems to get good reviews.
    Try them both ( not at the same time, of course ) and decide which one works best for you.

I've used Sandboxie since way back in the days of Win XP and not had any problems.
    It appears to have more options than Shade.
    I liked the option to 'White List' what was allowed to run it it. Of course, it's something else to learn but it's a powerful way to limit what can run in the sandbox, to start with.
    Does Shade have that option?

Currently, I'm mostly on a Linux platform, but I still have Win 10 as a dual boot, with Sandboxie installed, but not for general surfing or info gathering.

Another app, that lunarlander has suggested, is Voodoo Shield.
    I'm trying that out and I like it. You might consider that also as added security.
    It's seems to be basically a 'white list' app.

https://voodooshield.com/

GreggIllinois likes this.
  4. GreggIllinois

Thanks britekguy. That makes sense. (You always do.) I guess (and I am woefully ignorant about this stuff) I just think of when I've had Microsoft technicians take over the computer via remote access (or whatever the correct term is).

From what I've read, a lot of software companies require the hardware i.d. to register their software to one particular computer.

This (with SHADE sandbox) may just be the first time I've read far enough into the EULA to see this sort of stuff.

It seems all the hardware ID does is say it's my computer, right? No ISP stuff or anything like that or stuff like in the attachment, which I came across Googling around.)

Attached Files:

5. GreggIllinois

Thanks Johnny. In regards to giving the fake hardware i.d., though, SHADE isn't asking me for it. It's asking my permission to take it. (If I accept the EULA it's taking the hardware i.d. .)

And I've read that Sandboxie has more options than SHADE, but I'm just looking for simplicity at this point. I'm not sure if SHADE has a 'White List' option.

I'm on Linux too. I have one computer that's Linux and one that's Windows.

Voodooshield. Oh, it looks cool but I'd be wondering if I'd be getting in over my head. I already have an anti-virus, uBlockOrigen, HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger. I wonder if I'll be mucking things up by adding something else. And voodooshield sounds a little like Privacy Badger.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Johnny b likes this.
  7. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Thanks, Allan (y)

I was totally unaware it was available.

Easy to turn on.
    I might just have to start using MS again :D

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome John. I only found out about it when researching for this thread.

It won't run on my old laptops, it seems their Cpus lack something.

Hey now steady on, you got away from M$, why would you ever go back ? ;)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  9. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    lol!

I never really completely 100% left, mostly just forgotten how to use the latest and greatest.

I've found Win 10 easier to use for screen capture and editing, but I don't do as much as I thought I would, so .....Win 10 doesn't get much usage.

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I prefer 7 but am using 10 more than I used to in case I'm forced to give up on 7 when support ends.

11. lunarlander

lunarlander

I was testing SHADE and after a reboot, VoodooShield requested permission to run a file, in a never before heard of folder within Windows. And when I checked, I could not locate that folder. So it seems SHADE has a rootkit component, probably for self protection against malware. HOWEVER, a rootkit component can work for you and against you. If a hacker knows about it, she can place her malware within that folder and you will be none the wiser. It is not a generally accepted practice in the security field to install a rootkit component because of just that reason.

GreggIllinois and Johnny b like this.
  12. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Good to know.
    Thanks lunarlander.

13. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I'll still be using Win 7 offline on a stand alone computer for quite a while.
    I've got almost 20 years of personal and financial data saved in file formats that simply don't easily cross over into a Linux platform ( Paperport's .max ).
    I like Paperport enough not to bother converting that data base over to .pdfs.

It's amazing how durable Windows is, when it's not exposed to other computers ( :D )

14. GreggIllinois

Wow. Glad I didn't run the .exe for it. Thanks.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!