1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I be worried about this noise?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Macavy, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Macavy

Macavy Thread Starter

My desktop has done something like this since I got it built but recently it just seems much louder. Is it just harddrive noise? Power supply issue?

I don't think it's the fans since they're both next to each other at the top of the desktop, and I hear the nosie coming from the bottom. It gets quieter as the computer settles but upon startup and when doing something intensive like opening up a program, connecting devices, opening up a folder with many files it gets louder.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I can't really hear much in the Video. It could just be the PSU fan if it happens when the computer is working hard, what PSU is it ?

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

On this topic
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/...and-kmode-exception-not-handled-bsod.1217707/

IS it the same computer
    If so I think you reinstalled windows and later replaced the hard drive
    If I am correct you appear to have left the firmware setup in legacy mode
    That is not a good idea
    You should use UEFI mode
    There are many benefits to UEFI - and to mention just a couple is a faster boot and a more secure boot
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...protection/secure-the-windows-10-boot-process

I do not think it is an issue directly related to your noise. I cannot hear much of meaning on the Video attachment either
    I would check, as well as the query regarding the PSU from my colleague, the tightness of any relevant fittings especially fans
    If you remove the side of the case - you should be able to better locate the noise source, whilst listening more closely and having someone else power the desktop on.

As this is the same computer as this topic
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/...eption-not-handled-bsod.1217707/#post-9547744

You mention BSOD crashes and attach links to Google
    Send the dump files on your reply on this topic
    Windows folder
    Mini dumps
    or Memory dmps

right click dump file hold mouse on send to
    compressed file on desktop
    and then attach to reply and I will analyse the dumps.
    Not only will that help to know what caused the dump but it MAY throw some light on the reason for the noise.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  4. Macavy

Macavy Thread Starter

I'm not sure . . .is the PSU something that comes with the case or processor? I don't recall actually buying a separate part like that when I went shopping for parts with my friend. I'd open it up to check but I think it's under a section that my friend bolted shut when he assembled the thing. I'm not confident I can open it without damaging something. (pitures attached).

Attached Files:

5. Macavy

Macavy Thread Starter

Yes, it's the same PC. The noise isn't like a buzzing or clicking that I've seen in other videos for crashing disc drives but a . . . krkrkr sound, sort of. Hard to describe. . .

I didn't change anything when I replaced the HD. I made sure that the BIOS had the harddrive as the first thing to boot up to, not the disc drive (which did give me an issue at first) but other than that I connected the HD, reinstalled Windows and that's it. How would one go about checking to see if it's UEFI?

I've also attached the dump files. Thank you!

Attached Files:

6. Macboatmaster

7. Macboatmaster

According to the dump file you still have Kaspersky on this computer
    I thought you had agreed to uninstall it
    Defender is the AV to use on 10
    Kaspersky good as it as an AV has somewhat of a history of causing problems on 10

HAVE YOU or do you know that one of your friends etc has installed software on this computer relating to
    KuaiZipDrive.sys
    It is compression software like winzip etc.
    YOU do NOT want it on your computer

8. Macavy

Macavy Thread Starter

I call him tech savvy because he knows more than me, but his knowledge hauls at a certain point. He knows enough to build himself a computer good for video games and know what to look for when issues arise, but fixing them is out of his league - at least for my problem. I'm willing to prop this sucker open I was just hoping that it was a software issue and not a hardware one (or, if so, one that I could plan for without needing to open it yet.) But if opening it up right now is the only way to make confirm the problem I'm willing to do it.

Kaspersky has been uninstalled for a couple of hours now. The BSOD has not happened since this morning but before then it was installed, hence why it may be on the crash report. If that's not why then . . idk. Sure as heck isn't on my program list, that's for sure.
    Yes, KuaiZip is also installed. May I ask why it's harmful? It's been on my old laptop for years but I've never seen it cause issues. I've uninstalled it from my desktop now but if it's good to do so on the laptop might as well.

9. Macboatmaster

https://transparencyreport.google.com/safe-browsing/search?url=http://www.kuaizip.com/en/

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sitereport.html?url=kuaizip.com#

https://www.yandex.com/infected?url=kuaizip.com&l10n=en&redircnt=1539302348.1

My advice is to uninstall it
    using the windows 1o uninstall a program
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4028054/windows-10-repair-or-remove-programs

then REBOOT that is important and run a scan with Windows defender
    Run a quick scan first and see if finds anything
    Ensure having uninstalled Kaspersky that defender is now turned on and updated

10. Macavy

Macavy Thread Starter

No threats found according to the scan.
    Both have been uninstalled.

11. Macboatmaster

Go here
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

download it when the download appears on your browsing screen click run
    then run as admin
    then scan on the gui of adw cleaner
    then clean then log files and send the log by copying and pasting to your reply

READ the user guide before you do it - please
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/pdf/gu...er-User-Guide.pdf?d=2018-10-09-16-56-42--0700

so you know exactly what to do.
    Boring as reading the user guide is - it is better to know what you should do next rather than just guessing.
    On one of the screens for adw cleaner it being owned by Malwarebytes you will see a suggestion to install Malwarebytes - please do not .

12. Macboatmaster

I am going offline I am in the UK
    It is 0145 hrs
    I will be back online around 1200 hrs

I have seen another couple of issues in the logs from the crash that need addressing
    In the meantime post the ADW log and test the system and see how it is
    I recommend if it is still noisy that you do as I recommended on my first reply
    My advice to you is, if you decide not to wait for my return and try other solutions - be extremely careful about following advice you may find on a google search
    Some suggestions are very good - others can only be described as rubbish.
    For instance - stay well away from third party system maintenance tools such as registry cleaners and make it go faster software

13. Macavy

Macavy Thread Starter

The result is below. It's no issue at all thank you very much for trying to help me.
    I have academic plans tomorrow and probably won't be back until later in the day but will try to prop the bottom section of the tower when I get back, at least. I believe that's where the power is.

-------

# -------------------------------
    # Malwarebytes AdwCleaner 7.2.4.0
    # Build: 09-25-2018
    # Database: 2018-10-09.1 (Cloud)
    # Support: https://www.malwarebytes.com/support
    #
    # Mode: Clean
    # Start: 10-11-2018
    # Duration: 00:00:03
    # OS: Windows 10 Home
    # Cleaned: 13
    # Failed: 0

***** [ Services ] *****

No malicious services cleaned.

***** [ Folders ] *****

Deleted C:\ProgramData\KZMount
    Deleted C:\Users\Vyudali\AppData\Roaming\KZMount
    Deleted C:\Program Files\Kuaizip
    Deleted C:\Users\Vyudali\AppData\Roaming\Kuaizip

***** [ Files ] *****

Deleted C:\Windows\System32\drivers\KuaiZipDrive.sys

***** [ DLL ] *****

No malicious DLLs cleaned.

***** [ WMI ] *****

No malicious WMI cleaned.

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

No malicious shortcuts cleaned.

***** [ Tasks ] *****

No malicious tasks cleaned.

***** [ Registry ] *****

Deleted HKCU\Software\KuaiZip
    Deleted HKCU\Software\KuaiZipSFX
    Deleted HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved|KuaiZip Shell Extension
    Deleted HKLM\Software\Reimage

***** [ Chromium (and derivatives) ] *****

No malicious Chromium entries cleaned.

***** [ Chromium URLs ] *****

Deleted banggood.com
    Deleted Ask
    Deleted AOL
    Deleted Softonic EN

***** [ Firefox (and derivatives) ] *****

No malicious Firefox entries cleaned.

***** [ Firefox URLs ] *****

No malicious Firefox URLs cleaned.

[+] Delete Tracing Keys
    [+] Reset Winsock

AdwCleaner[S00].txt - [1925 octets] - [11/10/2018 20:11:51]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\Logs\AdwCleaner[C00].txt ##########

14. Macboatmaster

As you can see most of that relates to the zip program
    Post when you have tested regarding the noise as mentioned, and of include the dump file if you get another crash.

I see that at one time you appear to have used REIMAGE
    I think it will most likely have been this
    http://repair-windows.com/repair/Reimage_-_Repair_and_Fix_All_Your_Windows_Problems/

My advice is not to use it. There are far better ways and more reliable of addressing problems

When you post back we will, depending on what you report address the other issues, I believe are revealed in the dump.

15. Macavy

Macavy Thread Starter

I'm so sorry for the delay but I finally got around to opening it up. Turns out I didn't have to take anything apart - I am 95% sure it's not the power source but the harddrive making the grinding noise (after more searching that appears to be the consensus for description of the noise.) I disconnected it from the power and when I turned it on the noise was gone. Plugged it in and the noise came back. After looking it up on their website it might mean it's 'dying' so it looks like I may have to transfer everything to a new drive anyway...

I haven't gotten another crash yet, but I also haven't used it for anything intensive. Let's see what happens when I continue a photoshop project I'm working on.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice