1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I begin planning funeral services for my Compaq Presario SR1901WM...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thegfeclub, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thegfeclub

thegfeclub Thread Starter

Windows XP
    Compaq Presario SR1901WM
    Hannspree HF229H

Yesterday April 21, 2010 I experienced no issues whatsoever with my computer. Not one. I booted down my computer for the evening.

I was gaming this afternoon around 11AM cst for 5 minutes when my screen went blank. Just a flicker. a It went back to game. 3-5 minutes passed and it occured again-flicker. I found this to behavior to be very odd since it was running perfectly last night. So the flickers began coming in every 10-15 secs until finally it gave the big flicker without return- the screen stayed black. Stranger things have happened to me, I then began checking all the cords making sure they were secure and proceeded to reboot my computer. Once it did power back on it only have a blue box error saying Video Input Cable Unplugged. This was impossible. I reebooted again. Same message. Please note, I do NOT see the windows screen AT ALL. Its as if its going directly into StandBy or Sleep mode and its not coming out of its comatose state for NOBODY OR ANYTHING. It just wants to die..or does it?

Beyond frustration I then took my sons monitor and plugged it into my computer. It gave a power saving mode message. I then plugged my monitor into his computer- worked perfectly. That gave me a glimmer of hope. Which is far more than what I had over the past 2 hours.

There is no booting into safe mode. Could it be that my video card is burnt out? Its maybe 1-2 months old GForce 8600GS. Possibly could my operating system corrupt? Is there anyway to get to the safe mode without a keyboard or the traditional rapid pressing of F8 or ctrl+alt+delete twice?

Its very strange because I can hear the windows songs (dooo dooo doooooo doooo dooooooo) playing in the background, but nothing will display..

Are there any answers left or should we just give up and start planning the funeral services now. I am at a true loss. Please advise.

Adrianna

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    would you just explain a little further - did you replace the card - do you still have the old video card - or was it onboard graphics (not yet looked up that PC)

3. thegfeclub

I did replace the card. The GForce 8600GS was just installed not even 2 months ago, plays really nice on my comp- til now..

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. thegfeclub

1 more thing! I placed my sons video card into my computer and it did the same thing- nothing..Same message about video input.

6. thegfeclub

I tried using the onboard intergrated graphics but nothing still the same. It is disabled in the bios. I cant get back to bios cus i cant see anythng :(

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    its possible you could get back to the integrated graphics default by removing the cmos/bios battery from the motherboard - that SHOULD set it back to the factory setting - and use the onboard graphics - although its possible it may not and set to some other indeterminate state.

8. thegfeclub

Oh my goodness that sounds like an extremely technical undertaking. Im willing to try it. My finace is saying it sounds like the video card gave out, but it worked perfectly fine up until this morning and its less than 2 months old. I think that some how World of Warcraft tripped my comp into sleep or standby mode and now im stuck. Thats more likely. However now what youre saying is yes, the card is kaput :(

Please advise on how to get back to default settings using the onboard graphics.

9. thegfeclub

okay fiance explained how to take it out and what it looked like- that was easy..

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    As the graphics card is only 2 months old - you could just get a replacement and hopefully thats all thats wrong with the PC _ if it sounds like its booting normally and giving the windows tune, it could well just be the card - then all you need to do is replace
    Did you change the card, or did a shop or someone more technical.

the is a chance the cmos reset may cause other issues with the PC _ no guarantees, but it should take the pc back to factory condition and reset to use the onboard graphics
    The battery is a small button type battery usually on the motherboard under a clip

heres a couple of sites that show you the cmos battery

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    we crossed posted - so - "that was easy" means it worked and you are now using on board graphics - OR

12. thegfeclub

Easy as in the battery is out and sitting on my desk. Awaiting instructions.

13. thegfeclub

Do I now need to plug the monitor into the onboard port, replace the battery and boot it up?

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yep
    thats the theory - fingers crossed - make sure you get the battery the correct way round !!!!!! otherwise that will cause serious damage

15. thegfeclub

the battery has a bumpy side on the bottom and smooth on top so I got it right, but no luck..still the same error..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918354

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice