1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I Bother?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aeuzent, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aeuzent

aeuzent Thread Starter

Well I've been going about mapping out a new machine that I'm planing to build for myself with all kinds of fancy new features when I discovered the other day I have to buy a new version of XP.

I currently own an original release version of XP Pro (pre-sp1) and I found out that it wont support a partition over 130 or so gigabytes. I'm planing to buy a 750gb hard drive and split it 300/450gb. So now I gotta buy a new XP.

On to the actual question, while shopping (and fuming) I came across XP Media Center Edition which I've heard of but never really cared about. I've heard that it basically has the same functionality as XP Pro plus lots of other goodies. Since I have to buy a new version anyway should I go for the new flashy media center or buy the exact same OS I already have plus two service packs? What does media center have to offer and is it worth it?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

If you can afford a new OS then go for it. But, Service Pack 2 fixes the hard drive limitations.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

SP1 fixed the 48bit addressing not sp2 although sp2 has all of the fixes that were in sp1 along with many other fixes.

I agree you do NOT need to buy a new os as long as you have a real MS cd and not a recovery type cd. Just make a slipstreamed install cd. This is really quite easy to do. I install the drivers I need on the cd as well. This puts everything in one place for the install.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Creating a slipstreamed disk is really painless using AutoStreamer.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice