Should I buy more ram?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Fynall

For reasons I don't want to get into, I need to use 2 computers at the same time (which I can't afford atm) so instead I use a virtual PC as an alternative. The problem is I don't have enough ram for the process to go smoothly, should I buy more RAM? Is buying more ram possible and a viable choice for my PC? How much RAM should I buy, thinking 8 GB? How much would it cost me?

http://i.imgur.com/7SbK8pm.png
http://i.imgur.com/6h7lyLI.png
http://i.imgur.com/o92Obcy.png

I think this is my PC if you need more info let me know, thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/oH90RW2.png

Edit: As a side note, even when I don't use virtual PC I usually have over 10 chrome tabs open at same time along with a game & few other software open at once and I can't stand when things are unresponsive as I don't have much time to spare!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor

Fynall

Your HP Pavilion HPE h8-1111 (QU091AA) desktop comes with 8 GB of RAM.

Your system information screenshot confirms it has 8 GB of RAM.

Its motherboard has 4 memory slots and supports up to 16 GB of RAM.

That means you can install a 4 GB module in all 4 memory slots. 4 GB X 4 = 16 GB

It uses 240-pin DDR3 PC3-10600(DDR3-1333), 1.5 volt, CL=9, unbuffered, non-ECC modules.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for reply! So if my understanding is correct I can buy 2x 4 GB rams from the site above which would cost me roughly 30-35$ each for 70$ total. Is the installation process hard/easy after shipment? I'm assuming you just have to plug it?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
So if my understanding is correct I can buy 2x 4 GB rams
That's assuming it currently has 2 - 4 GB modules and not 4 - 2 GB modules.

The only way to know for sure is to look inside the case.

Is the installation process hard/easy after shipment? I'm assuming you just have to plug it?
This is from pages 14 - 17 of its on-line User Guides - Upgrading And Service Guide.

Attachments

Fynall

Thanks you're a boss. I was about to buy from newegg but I don't think they send to Canada :(

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Thanks you're a boss. I was about to buy from newegg but I don't think they send to Canada :(
You're welcome.

I was just using the Newegg site to show you the specs for those 4 GB modules.
You can buy them where you want.

I need to use 2 computers at the same time (which I can't afford atm) so instead I use a virtual PC as an alternative. The problem is I don't have enough ram for the process to go smoothly, should I buy more RAM?
I really don't know if going from 8 GB to 16 GB of RAM is going to resolve your virtual mode issue.

-------------------------------------------------------

Fynall

You're welcome.

I was just using the Newegg site to show you the specs for those 4 GB modules.
You can buy them where you want.

I really don't know if going from 8 GB to 16 GB of RAM is going to resolve your virtual mode issue.

-------------------------------------------------------
I needed RAM regardless anyways, if it's not too bothersome mind linking me to a compatible 4GB ram that I can buy and ship to Canada, I been looking around for a while but I'm worried of buying the wrong one... Ty bro :>

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I provided you with the module specs in post #3.

I'm not familiar with what companies sell and ship modules to Canada, so do some searching on your own or wait for someone else to advise you.

----------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I ran crucial's memory test after some research it tells me that I need PC3-12800?
The Crucial site usually displays only the fastest speed modules that a computer supports.

That's why its report displayed the DDR3 PC3-12800(DDR3-1600) instead of the DDR3 PC3-10600(DDR3-1333).

Your computer supposedly came with DDR3 PC3-10600(DDR3-1333) modules, so you want to add modules of the same speed.

If you mix speeds when adding modules, they all will run at the speed of the slower module(s).

-----------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I wouldn't buy RAM modules on eBay.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online