1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Should I change my hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheGingerNinja, Jun 16, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. TheGingerNinja

TheGingerNinja Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    Greetings,

My mother's computer has not been working properly lately, and I suspect it is a faulty hard drive.
    When folders with large amounts of photos are opened, Windows Explorer closes and the whole screen refreshes (the same thing that happens when you hit "restart" on Windows Explorer through the Task Manager).

The PC then continued to recieve a blue screen with the code "memory management". I ran Memtest86 but it passed with no errors. I ran CrystalDiskInfo and HDDScan and they have come back with warnings (results attached as an image).

I reckon the HDD is failing and a new one needs to be bought. I wanted a second opinion from y'all because I didn't want to do anything stupid hastily.

Cheers!
    Andrew
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4034 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 90 GB (14 GB Free); D: 232 GB (20 GB Free); E: 142 GB (29 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., H81M-CS
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated Screenshot_1.jpg Screenshot_2.jpg

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is a WD drive; why not use the software that was designed by the drive mfg? Go to the WD support site and download/install DLG data lifeguard. Test the drive with both the long and short tests. Note the long test will take quite a while.

3. TheGingerNinja

TheGingerNinja Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    Hello crjdriver!

I downloaded and installed WD Data Lifeguard and ran its test, but the test failed due to errors (screenshot posted below).

Cheers!
    Andrew

Screenshot_1.jpg

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Then you have your answer; you need to replace the drive. WD has a proprietary version of acronis true image available for download. You can attempt to clone the old drive to the new drive and not have to clean install windows. Note with a failing drive, you may or may not be able to clone.

TheGingerNinja likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice