1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I delete all the old ones?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by McGee, Jan 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGee

McGee Thread Starter

I'm trying to delete some things on my computer to see if I can speed it up a little. I noticed I have duplicates of Microsoft visual C + +. Most of them are different years. Should I delete all the old ones and keep the newest one? (2017)

Attached Files:

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

No you can't delete old versions of C++ Runtime. Some software are particular about which version of the runtime they use, and if it couldn't locate a function in the runtime library ( maybe only present in an old one ) then they will error out.

Assume you are running Win 10. To speed up your computer a bit, try the following:

Go run Task Manager > Startup tab. Disable all the programs that you don't need . Leave Defender alone.

Go to Settings > Privacy > Background apps . Disable it totally or uncheckmark the things you don't need

Go download MS AutoRuns . Right click on it and run as admin .Uncheck the programs you don't want running at startup. For example, I don't use OneDrive, so I find all occurrences of it and uncheck them. It starts up upon sign in and has Scheduled Tasks to do various tidbits.

3. McGee

McGee Thread Starter

Okay, thank you for informing me about this. I will defentally do this.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice