1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I download SP2?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Physique, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Physique

Physique Banned Thread Starter

I just got cable internet put on and i am trying to decide whether to install the XP service pack 2.

Everything i have heard about it is bad.

Should I or Shouldn't I.

Does anyone have a step by step guide to installing it without causing problems?

Thanks all

2. robert83

robert83

Hi,

I've installed Service Pack2 on various systems (70 to tell you a number)

and never had any problems, they always finished, the only problem that raised afterwards was the some older applications were not able to use any of the com ports for some reason, but doing an update for those 3rd party stuff it worked again.

Sincerely
    Robert B

3. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

I decided to slipstream SP2 together with the XP CD using AutoStreamer 1ยท0 and do a clean install. But adding SP2 to other systems has not posed a problem whether from the download or from the Free SP2 CD.

You need to make sure that your system is free of junk files, Trojans and Virii before proceeding.

You should slipstream SP2 anyway as it gives you an up-to-date XPSP2 CD so that you can use SFC /SCANNOW to repair system files in future.

It is also worthwhile to load the Recovery Console to the HDD if you have not done so already.

Many OEMs do this as part of the unattended install which they use to pre-load computers.

4. Physique

Physique Banned Thread Starter

would it be too much asking if you could do a step by step guide.

Thanks If possible

My computer was put together from seperate part. I was never given the XP CD

5. robert83

robert83

Hi,

1. do google search for flashget and download it
    2. start flashget
    3a. don't forget to put that h***://w** thing in front of microsoft.com
    3. go here microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

4. once downloaded just click on it and it shall install, then ask for a reboot
    and that is as they say it that...

note : your firewall shall be enabled by default from now. A nice addon from microsoft to make this thing default.

Sincerely
    Robert B

6. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Do you have any OEM recovery CDs? Is your drive partitioned? If so how big is the C: drive?

It might be a good idea to back up your data first of all to CDRs or Data DVDs, delete all the copied data from the drive, and then image the remaining operating system before doing anything, just in case things go wrong, which they all too often do.

Then, as you don't have an XP CD just download the entire SP2 file and run it on your system when off-line, disconnected from the Internet, and with the anti-virus turned off.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!