1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I get a graphics card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrbrownstone, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrbrownstone

mrbrownstone Thread Starter

I'm building performance PC for someone who does no gaming but wants a really fast PC with Vista and Aero. I know that the 6100 graphics chip on the motherboard I am going to use can run Aero because I have built a PC with it before but I don't know if using the onboard graphics will slow the system down. The proposed specs are as follows:
    Athlon 64 X2 5200+
    2 x 1gb Kingston PC5400 RAM
    MSI K9MGM with Nvidia 6100 Onboard

Should I get a slower processor and a PCI express graphics card or just leave it as it is?

Thanks
    mrbrownstone

2. Jones

Jones

Well, on-board graphics uses a portion of your system memory to function, so yes, adding a PCI-E card will free up more of your system resources for running processes.

Also, the 6100 series chips are not very powerful at all. If you want to get a nice video card, even if your not gaming, look at a 7800 or 7900 series card from nVidia, and look for 256mb of RAM on the card. This is generally considered to be the current 'minimum' desired amount of video memory.

3. mrbrownstone

mrbrownstone Thread Starter

Ok but I don't think i'll get a 7800 or 7900 for someone who isn't gaming, especially on this budget (£600 with peripherals). I'll probably get a 7300 series if I get anything. Anyone else got an opinion on this?

4. phob54

phob54

yes if not gaming you dont need a 7800 or 7900 the 7300 should suit good

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice