1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I get a new PC, Yet? (Pentium D vs. old HT)

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Hugenstein, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hugenstein

Hugenstein Thread Starter

My current PC is about 2y, 5mos old, and I'd really like to upgrade as I'm doing more video editing. I currently have a 2.8mhz Pentium 4 w/ HT, 1g ram and an AGP graphics processor. I saw a Gateway PC at BestBuy today with a lot of the things I'd need (except I'd upgrade the vid card?) that has a Pentium D 920 processor. What I'm wondering is will the performance boost really be worth it for gaming and DV editing. I was planning on getting the PC custom-built online around a Pentium 660 (3.6mhz) processor, but I liked the Best buy price and the fact that I have a gift card and a coupon.
    Here are the old/new specs below:
    2.8mhz HT Northwood -> D920 2.8m Dualcore Preslor
    533 bus -> 800 bus
    1g PC3200 ram -> 2g PC4200 ram
    AGP slot -> PCIE 16x graphics slot
    GeForce Ti4600 128 mb -> GeForce 6600 256 mb
    Windows XP SP1 -> Windows Media Center
    What kind of a performance bump could I expect?
    1) Slight
    2) Purty good
    3) Very Godd
    4) Night and day?

Thanks, Ryan

2. Force.apdz

Force.apdz

I'm not really sure about the performance... but if you have the money then go for it,lol.

3. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

what is the cost of the Gateway PC?

your old pc looks great, adding another gig of ram will really help video editing.
    I personally don't think the Gateway will show any significant gain.
    One thing about BB is; you can try it for 14 days and return it no questions asked.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/443999