1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I get Ghost or an alternative for full imaging?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bj nick, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I want to get software that will do what Ghost claims to do: easy backups plus full disc images so that I will have peace of mind, knowing that I can always recover my system in case of a disaster. I recently had to go through a total reinstall of XP and it was very discouraging (and time-consuming!)

My brother recommended Ghost, saying that at his corporate office, the techs used it constantly and it was gold. Another PC tech told me it was great. But I have seen countless negative reviews saying that it was a total mess.

Should I still consider Ghost? Or is there an alternative software available that doesn't cost a fortune and will do these tasks? I don't want some low-level shareware program; I want all of the features in an easy-to-use program.

Thanks for any advice!

2. GoKitAFly

GoKitAFly

I don't have any info about other packages but I have ghost and it works great. I recently used it to recover to a previous save after I finished a job and considering I hade to reinstall XP-Pro several times to get everything set up correct (Siemens software can be a b----h to install) it was great.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I consider Acronis True Image the cream of the crop, and it can be had for $30 for a downloaded purchase from www.newegg.com

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If you want something easy to use and has all the features then Acronis is for you.

If you want something free with a slight learning curve then give Drive Image XML a try.
    http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

5. DCM1519

DCM1519

I have Ghost, Acronis, and others but use DriveImageXML which is free from Runtime Software. The only downside that I have found is that you have to create a boot disk through BartPE for use when the C: drive needs restoration. Any other drive can be restored without a boot disk.

This one has never failed while all the others have failed me on at least one occasion.

DriveImageXML has never failed me and i have had to use it several times.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!