1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

should i get more memory??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ARMYWIFE14, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ARMYWIFE14

ARMYWIFE14 Thread Starter

I am wondering if i should upgrade and get 512mb.i currently am running with 15.9 GB of memory left on my C drive but i run a lot of video encoding and video editing software and when i use it my CPU usage is maxed out. and my computer will lock up when try to run other programs with my video encoding software. i currenlty have

Dell Dimension DIM2400 intel
    Pentium 4 CPU 2.4 GHz
    2.39 GHz
    256 MB of ram

I also havent installed the latest service pack from windows either. Should i do that now or wait until i get an upgrade if i need one? I have read of memory problems after you download the new service pack. and i am always getting the message virtual memory to low. I think i should upgrade but want to make sure. thank you for taking a look.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

15 gigs left is your hard drive, not memory. If you are running xp you should up your memory to 512. If you are running 98 you don't need to.
    You can up your disk space by adding a slave, or buying a bigger drive. The slave is easiest.

3. ARMYWIFE14

i am using XP sorry i didnt specify that. so if i upgrade and get the 512 will i run into the virtual memory problems. and where is the best place to get the right slave drive or should i get the upgrade through dell and have them send me the memory. Sorry i am still new at this. first computer and it seems i have out grown it.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

You can slave just about any IDE Hard drive. I don't think Dell uses proprietary ram so you shoild be able to use any that is the same speed. I like www.crucial.com because they have a memory configurator that helps you pick your ram, and they back it up if it is wrong.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Dell does not use special ram ;)

6. ARMYWIFE14

o.k. thank you i will check out that link. I thank you for your time.

7. animeloser

animeloser

If your running out of memory, you can do one of 2 things. Wipe your hard drive out, or get a new one. I suggest the first, because a new hardrive is expensive.

8. HappyHacker

HappyHacker

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What? Memory has NOTHING to do with hard drive space :rolleyes:

10. 4steve44

4steve44

You tell him candy ;)

11. brite750

brite750

Holy crap, got enough fans in that case, i think i can hear your case from here, what are you doing, keeping your beer cold. :D
    poster mentioned something about virtual memory, i don't know if that was a slip or what, virtual memory is space allocated on your hdd to use as memory if you are running out of physical memory (ram sticks), it is very slow, so it is not desirable, better to just get more physical memeory.

12. 4steve44

4steve44

Nope. My case is very quite. The fans I use are Smart Quiet and are quite quiet. And as for the slip ask acacandy to send you the link she sent me. :eek: :eek:

13. ARMYWIFE14

O.k. i am confused sorry this is my first com. and i have the followig problem i do have the "virtual memory is too low windows....." and i get that a lot and then i have a lot of home videos that i edited and burn and i know that my encoding software when used my cpu is maxed out. On my task manager i have 220096 physical memory total and available is 89792 aproximently. and system cache is 126140 aproximently. and i do a lot of multitasking. and i think i do need to get a slave drive to keep all my home videos and stuff like that. but do i need to get more ram? thank everyone for their help. sorry so stupid. (new) but i do appriciate everyone for helping the com. illiterate and thank everyone for their patience for the time everyone puts in for making this site awesome. thank you.

14. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I'd get more, but I am a ram addict. I'm running 1280 meg. I ain't gonna run out.:)
    The recommended for win xp is 512 meg. Anything under that and performance suffers.
    I never even come close to using all my ram. I always have over 800 megs free, so you could say when I am pushing this thing to the max I am using 450-480 megs with plenty of reserve.
    For what you have described using the machine for I recommend at least 512,

15. ARMYWIFE14

O.k. so that will fix my virtual memory thing? and i know i should get a bigger hard drive and how do you wipe your hard drive out or would it be better to just get aslave drive for more hdd space? i am still trying to learn. sorry Thank you for your help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice