1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I get my own cable modem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I live in Birmingham, Alabama and my ISP is AT&T Uverse. I have only internet and no TV.

Pros and cons, should I get my own cable modem? They're charging me $7 a month to use theirs.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I purchased my modem [charter internet] IMO you end up with a better combination when you go with your own modem and your own router. The "all-in-ones" that uverse uses do not have much in the way of options.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I always buy my own modem (Comcast is my ISP).

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Assuming AT&T supports aftermarket hardware (some ISPs do NOT), you need a DSL modem, not a cable modem. uVerse uses DSL, not cable. Thus the input or WAN port is an RJ11 port (standard telephone) and not a coaxial connector.

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Well, my final concern is this: When I need tech support, is my after-market, privately-owned equipment going to be an obstacle?

In other words, if they blame my equipment, how can I know for sure whether they are just wiggling out of fixing something or if it is really my own equipment?

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I bought a modem on the list of approved devices found on the website. Comcast has always helped me with my modem when I had problems (11 years this June).

Check if AT&T Uverse has a list of approved modems. Then go to here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/uverse
    read and ask questions.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have had my modem and router for at least 3yrs now with 0 problems or issues. It just works. If you purchase quality hardware, I doubt you are going to have any problems.

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Most ISPs will support any supported modem whether it is one they provided, or your own. Anything past the modem, such as a standalone router, will not be supported.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Never rent it if you can buy it you will pay for it 10 times over renting it and have no advantages.

10. Blu_86

Blu_86

They do not support the modem. What they support is their connection through the supported modem. A distinct clarification.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice