1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I Get Vista Service Pack 1 and/or 2?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by akebono, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. akebono

akebono Thread Starter

hi, i have Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit from 2007, and i have never installed service pack 1 or 2...

so should i install these service packs?

my main activities are playing MMORPG games and some browser games, and using Dev-C++ for homework, and just using the Internet(Firefox)...

does anything in service pack 1 or 2 improve the performance of my activities?

also, if i do decide to install these service packs, should i go directly to service pack 2 or do i have to install sp1 first and then sp2?

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Yes you need SP1 before you can install SP2.

You should install the service packs because of the Security benefits among other things, especially if you've missed other updates. Having a computer that is controlled by a hacker to send spam would have a few performance problems after all!

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    YES and again YES

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

There is no system requirement to install SP1 before Install SP2. You should be able to load SP2 right over Vista with no SP's installed.

5. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
  6. akebono

akebono Thread Starter

Ok, does service pack 1 or 2 do anything bad like increase memory usage?

Also, i don't remember windows update notifying me of service pack 2 being available.. i remember it notified me of service pack 1 and i hid the update..

is service pack 2 still in beta?

and is there an expert that knows if i really can install sp2 over vista that has no service packs..

7. Squashman

Well that just goes to show you how good MS is at documentation. The TechNet article I read at work said that SP2 was s cumulative update of all patches including SP1 and that the system requirement was just Vista.

Seen this same conflicting advice with XP SP3. The technet article does not say you need at least SP1a to install SP3.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

Anyways to the posters question. I don't know why you are scared to install it. If you want to maintain the security of your PC you would be advised to install it.

8. Squashman

ENT is correct. I misread the TechNet article. Went back and reread it. The system requirements say Vista but if you continue to read the overview of the article it says SP1 is a prerequisite. Not sure why MS chose not to put that in the System Requirements section of the article. We all have learned from the day one since we started using computers that we should look at the System Requirements for installing anything but MS has chosen to lead us down a different path.

9. akebono

akebono Thread Starter

ok, do you know what happens to the updates from sp1 and sp2 when i install them? since i have always been installing windows updates up to now.. will there be 2 copies of each update or will everything be overwriiten..?

also, there is no "newer" versions of sp1 or sp2 right? since i might as well install the service pack 1 i hid on windows update like 2 years ago..

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice