1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I go ahead & do the following?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by EagleClaw92, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EagleClaw92

EagleClaw92 Thread Starter

I'm trying to keep my old computer running as smooth as possible until I get another one in the not too distant future. I have Norton/Symantec as my security program. At one time I had a few other programs that helped protect my computer & things were running fine.

Then I had a problem & I called Norton & they wanted to do the deal where they hook-up with my computer. I noticed they were getting rid of the other security programs I had - & they told me that having them could mess up Nortons ability to do what it did.

I've recently noticed that I still have files on my computer from the program I had called Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The person that told me about this program said it was good to have & wouldn't be a problem to have it along with Norton. When I say Norton I mean the security & anti-virus program that I pay for every year from them.

Anyway - being a novice I have this question. Is it good for me to have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware & run it once in a while even though I have Norton. I had the free version of it. If its OK to have it......should I just uninstall the files I have on it & then download the free version they have now which is probably updated from when I had it before.

2. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Malwarebytes is highly recommended and a good product, even the free version. I've used it for a long time on several computers. It doies things that Norton won't as they're different types of programs. I wouldn't advice using the registry cleaner feature though.

Personal opinion: I'd get rid of Norton altogether. Sure wouldn't be paying for it. And nobody, but nobody, is going to be allowed to "hook up" to my computer to "fix" supposed problems.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    What version of Windows are you running?
    I know on some XP computers, the newer v2 of MBAM slows a computer down. It happened to one of our XP computers but not the other.
    As a result I kept reinstalling 1.75 on the slow computer. The database is still being updated so it still worked when I scanned.

If you have v 1.75, there is no need to uninstall it; just let the definitions update and then run a quick scan.

4. EagleClaw92

Thanks for the reply.

Being the novice I am - I thoght you sorta had to have a security program that covers most things bad that could happen to my computer....& that that kind of program isn't free.

And the hook up thing - the times I've done that - I had tried all I knew to fix something - so that was pretty much my last option. I can understand that folks here wouldn't let people mess with their computers because they have so much computer knowledge....they have other options.

Also, all I know computer wise I've learned on my own & one of the earliest things I learned was not to mess with anything that has to do with the registry & I don't.

Thanks for the reply.

I've got Windows XP Pro. I know that microsoft quit dealing with it in April 2014, & I am going to update my computer stuff in the not too distant future, but I can't yet & I can still do most of the things I use my computer for.

I also know that my browser which is I.E. 8 can't be updated until I update my OS. I did download Google Chrome for the times I run across something that will say my browser is too old.

I used the Search feature that has the little dog & just typed in the word Malwarebytes & it came back with 218 files found. I remember doing something once (it was too long ago for me to remember what it was) where afterwards I'd see these files that had the name spuninst.inf

Those are about 200 of the files that showed up. It also shows what folder they are in & most are in foders that are very similar like......C:\WINDOWS\$NUninstallKB2393802$\spuninst

The first file at the top of the list is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware & the folder it is in is....
    C:\Program Files before the words a the left of all the files is a icon....the one before this just looks like a regular folder would look like.......the ones before the spuninst.inf files looks different.

It would take me way too long to describe what the around 20 files are & what folders they are in. Actually, when I started seeing these files named spuninst.inf around, they just annoyed me for some reason. I thik I may have been following directions on how to do something.....but I'm not sure, maybe it did happen when I was hooked up to some place like Norton. Some of these spuninst files also are on my desktop as shortcuts I guess, I've never clicked on one.

I have right-clicked on several of the files on this list & then clicked on properties and they have different dates & info....although they have similar categories. I don't see what version these refer to which u asked about.

There is also a file in the list called FullReg.reg which obviously has to do with the registration & when I looked at the Properties on that one.....I didn't see what version it dealt with there either.

I wish I was a computer whiz - one time I did something that was supposed to show me the duplicate files that were on my computer and when I did it......it came up with something like 35,000 or something and a few of the files had an incredible number of duplicates.

But I guess you are supposed to have some of these & no way was I gonna delete any of them. The had one box there where you could click on it & it would delete all of them. I don't see how somebody could have gone down this list & know what files to delete & which ones not to. Anyway, thats getting off subject.

With this additional info....have any suggestions for me about what to do with Malwarebytes or Malewarebytes Anti-Malware. By the way, if I had to guess, for some reason, I think I had been using version 2.0 But I'm not sure about that either I still wonder if I should just delete all these files....& then download the latest free version But from your original replies I guess maybe that isn't the best idea O.K - WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON WHAT TO DO

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    this $ tells us the file is a temp one and this NUninstallKB2393802 tells us it allows you to uninstall the update KB2393802.
    Because my hard drives have enough free space, I have never removed any of the files.

If I look up KB2393802, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15652
    I discover it was a patch on 7th Feb. 2011. Since your odds of needing to uninstall this patch are slim to non-existent, it is safe to delete it.

That holds true for all the other files. Look at the KB part, see when the patch came out. Since XP hasn't been patched since April 2014, all those are 11 months to many years old.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You can choose to keep the MBAM version you have. Just open it and click on Update now aside of the database line.

Attached Files:

6. EagleClaw92

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE REPLY! This is really gonna sound like I'm clueless - but I guess until I do a computer thing one time, I am. OK - Just to make sure I'll be doing whats needed to fix this.

Are you telling me its safe to remove all the files that are named spuninst.inf & in a folder like C:\WINDOWS\$UninstallKB2286198$\spuninst. I also noticed that as well as the folders having different #'s after the KB, every once in a while one will be a little different like after the # & before the closing $.....one has _WM9 & then the $. And another has -v2 before the closing $.

And of course there are around 18-20 files that are totally different from all the spuninst.inf (around 200) files. Are you saying I should delete all 218 files that the SEARCH FUNCTION came up with when I typed in Malwarebytes? I wish I could send u a copy of all 218 files (I'm guessing there is a way to do this), because of the variety of the files that aren't in spuninst files.

One of them has the name Malwarebytes Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free with an icon before it like a blue-bird with big blue wings & its in folder C:\Documents and Settings\Dek\Favorites.

I do have a huge favorites list that I've acquired over many years.....so I guess that is saying I have that file somewhere on my favorites list. Remember my OS is XP Pro.....do these new Windows OS's have a "favorites" list?

I also checked my All Programs list, & Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is there with an arrow that brings up 3 things....Tools.....Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (with the bluebird on the left).......& Uninstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (the icon to the left of this looks like a monitor & a CD).

Sorry this is so long - I just try to be thorough in case anything might help. There is also an arrow that goes from Tools to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Chameleon.....whatever thats about.

By the way - what I'm speaking about on how to do this below is just because I didn't really understand (although I'm sure most folks would), what you were telling me to do

O.K. - Would this work. When I go to the "Add & Remove Programs" I see it there after the bluebird icon & at the end it says.....version 2.0.2.1012.....& under the size heading it says 46.13MB

So should I just remove the program from there.....then go to one of the sites where it says you can download 2.0 I see one that says 2.0 4. although that comes after it saying a 14 day free premium trial. So since I had the one described above, can I just download whatever the free version is now. I saw where it said for me I needed a 32 bit (as opposed to 64 I guess).

That was very hard for me to find. But on the Help & support Page after it gives u "View detailed system info" to click on, after that in brackets it says (Msinfo32.exe), I'm assuming I do have a 32 & if I had a 64 I'd guess I couldn't have downloaded the program originally whenever I did.

My last thought, if you're still with me, I'm sure you're thinking FINALLY. With me having 2.0.2.1012, since it starts with 2.0 am I good to download what they show for free now. Or do the numbers after 2.0 have to be different from mine. What I'm saying is that if I can't download what it shows to download this now at different sites, would I be able to find an older version to match mine that would work ?

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    NO! I'm telling you to look at what is before spuninst.inf and do some detective work.
    I can't begin to guess what all the files that may end in spuinst.inf are on your computer.

again NO!

Please do not send me 218 files and expect me to look them over and tell you which to keep and which to remove.

If you don't have the time or don't want to do the work then keep all the files. I have five computers in my house to keep clean, patch and do software updates. I don't want to add someone else's computer to my cleaning list.

Does your current MBAM 2.0.2 work? If so, just update it. If not, use add/remove programs and download the FREE, not the trial version.
    https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/
    this might have a 14 day trial, uncheck this before you install it.

8. EagleClaw92

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE REPLY plodr.

I don't think I communicated what I meant to in my last reply. I would attribute this to my lack of enough computer knowledge to specify what I mean. When I mentioned I'd like to have u see the list of files.....& the fact that I think all of them have to do with Malwarebytes & 200 of them looked very similar, I thought somebody who knew a lot more than me about computers could just take a look at them over-all......& then be able to say.....Well, u need to delete all of them & then try to install the program again.

Or u may say - the info u sent me would take me too long to figure out as it applies to your computer. Which u basically did....although obviously you were annoyed that I even brought it up.

I certainly didn't want u to spend anytime going thru each file to try to build an answer. And I'm sorry that u thought I was implying that. I do understand how much time a person needs to take at times to figure something out on a computer because I've spent so many hours trying to figure something that was computer related which I might eventually do after 9 hours.

But if I was next to a very savvy computer user, they might be able to say......hey, u just need to do this and this and your problem will be solved. I was hoping that might be the case here, but now I know it isn't.

I will do what u suggested and do some detective work on my own & try to figure this out. I did come across this page that deals with exactly what we've been talking about.....some of the things on this page I do on a regular basis.

I would like to ask another question. I'm going to put the link here to what I'm talking about.

http://www.solvusoft.com/en/files/e...t-corporation/microsoft-windows/spuninst-inf/

Do you think I should just do step #6 on the list near the bottom of the page. I think that is basically what u were saying anyway. By the way, when u ask me if my MBAM version works now - I don't know - how I used to start the program isn't there anymore - I don't know if all the files needed to run it are there. I'm still a novice at this stuff.

I've spent too much time on this already & I don't want to waste any of yours. One last question - on the page the link brings up, it asks.....

Recommendation: Scan your PC for spuninst.inf-related registry errors.

Like I know I mentioned, anything to do with the registry, I've never messed with. Should I just keep on ignoring anything to do with the registry?

O.K. - I'M DONE WRITING ABOUT THIS ISSUE

P.S. - this is an edit. The link I copied ended up much shorter when I looked at the preview for some reason. I'm going to try & put it in here again & hit save changes to see if it will then show the whole link to the page.

http://www.solvusoft.com/en/files/e...t-corporation/microsoft-windows/spuninst-inf/

Hmm....still doesn't show the whole thing for some reason, I'm just gonna hit Save Changes....don't know what else to do.

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Forget that page. It wants you to download some unknown thing to magically fix your computer. It isn't that simple. Pages like that do more harm than good.
    You'll also note the 1 star rating.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice