1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I have 2 system.ini files ?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by steamwiz, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steamwiz

steamwiz Thread Starter

I have 2 system.ini files at the following locations :-

This one should be here :-

C:\windows

This reflects all changes and tweaks etc made since a re-install of win98 a little over a year ago

the other in

C:\DRIVERS\SYSTEM

Appears to be a copy of the original file as it was when it was installed

I don't know how it got there unless windows put it there during a re-install

Does anyone else have one in this location ? and will it do any harm to just leave it there ?

steam

2. jm100dm

jm100dm

steam

I believe that you said that it has been there and if you are not having any problems them you probably won't. I see no reason to keep it but suggest you wait till one of the techs respond. I also have two. The second is in D:windows and probably don't need it either.

jm100dm

3. steamwiz

steamwiz Thread Starter

Hi jm100dm

I suppose it doesn't hurt to have a backup of the original in case your present one becomes corrupt - it was the location of it that puzzles me, as I didn't put it there

Thanks for replying

steam

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Steam, the active one is the one in c:\windows

As for the other one, it must have been created by the PB install routine as there is in fact no 'normal' c:\drivers folder. That would have to be created independently of the usual Windows install process. Although it may have been placed there as some kind of backup, if you ever really do need to replace your system.ini file in Win98, just restore a previous registry, or extract the file out of one of the rb.....cab files in c:\windows\sysbckup.

The msconfig utility can also be used to make a backup of the files win.ini, system.ini, config.sys and autoexec.bat. When the backup is made, they are saved with .pss extensions in c:\windows and are all restored automatically when clicking the "restore backups" tab in msconfig

5. steamwiz

steamwiz Thread Starter

Thanks Rog

So it appears to be a PB specific thing - and not a problem

mystery solved

thanks again

steam

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

No problem :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice