1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

should I install a leftover second- harddrive,20G

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Duhbob, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Duhbob

Duhbob Thread Starter

My old EIDE WD Caviar200AA is in a box.It was in a Compaq p.o.s.that died,last march.
    My new" no-name" is running NTFS. and has 80 Gb Hdd.
    How much hassle to add additional" slave" drive to new machine?
    what are the snafu's out there? How do I start?
    btw I'm new at this

Is the ole' 5600rpm drive seemingly tons slower than my 7200 in practice?

Can any of the fat32 stuff be left on that 20Gb or does it all have to be wiped?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Just set the jumpers on the back of the drive to "Slave" and plug it in (with the PC powered down of course. You may need to buy a second IDE cable (flat 80 core cable) if there isnt a spaer plug available on your system. Each cable can take 1 master and 1 slave set device.

No need to worry about FAT32, XP reads it just fine.

5400 is slightly slower than 7200, but not bad at all.

That should be it.

3. hammerbill

hammerbill

If you need the space, go ahead and put it on there. Personally, I would put it as a slave drive on the second IDE channel (maby a master) along with a cdrom because I like my primary channel to have devices of equal ata specification. If you are using it for storage, it may not be as important that it be fast, but you don't want anything slowing down your primary hard drive at all. I have heard both ways, but some say your IDE channel will go the speed of the lowest ATA specification on it. Don't worry about RPM and fat32 is just fine.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The primary would be limited to the speed of a slower secondary only when data was exchanged between them.

When data flow is Primary (7200) to the motherboard, without any reference to the data on the Secondary (5400) then the speed will be at the higher rate.

Its not an issue, I do it here (removeable caddies for Primary and Secondary)

5. raybro

raybro

I ran a 12G 5400 RPM slave with a 7200 40G master on IDE 0 for a couple of years. Recently got a deal on a 120G, 7200 drive, so now have 2, 7200rpm drives set up on the same IDE channel as master/slave. I've had my swap file and TIF folder on the slave drive for both setups, which means there was data flow between drives whenever the swap file was in use or I was in the Internet. I do not see any observable difference in the two configurations relative to speed. The biggest difference I have seen was an increase in speed when I enabled DMA on both drives with the old configuration.

6. Duhbob

Duhbob Thread Starter

Following your advice I did the install! Slower drive is now slave. In my computer it shows as drive" F"...Which sent my Picture- cardreader to"G"...Pretty d'mned amazing stuff... it knows what's what!

NOW...I'm a li'l worried about confusing my old Win98SE (still on the slave)with the workings i.e. file extensions and such in WinXP which is running.Is the separation automatic?

I would like to extract old screensavers etc. to a current usable state but would that be do-able...

7. raybro

raybro

Not to worry about the old OS. Windows will recognize only one active partition at any given time. If you should for any reason desire to do so, you can boot your old drive by simple switching the boot drive in BIOS. Doing so will switch the drive letters so you old drive will become C:.

As far as transferring files and data from old to new, you can just drag and drop in windows explorer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/201778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice