should I junk this mobo?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lunarlander

Hi,

I recently got a K7T Turbo2 mobo. And when I try to install XP, it would begin to load drivers, listing them at the bottom, and then it would reboot. Also tried installing Ubuntu, and it would reboot very soon into the startup process. The only thing I succesfully installed was Win98. Seems like a mobo problem to me. What do you people think?

Is your mobo MSI?~

From what I've heard you can try updating the bios, or getting a new chip for it lolz

crjdriver

With that old of a mb, the very first thing I would do would be to inspect it for any leaking, discolored, or bulging capacitors. If you find any that look like the pics below, you have found the problem.

Next I would pull the board out of the case and R&R the hsf. Make sure it is installed correctly. Those old socket 462s had a lip on the cpu socket that had to fit in a recess in the hsf. It is very easy to get it installed backwards and have the cpu overheat. This was a VERY common problem back when the socket 462 was a popular cpu.

Attachments

leroys1000

Banned
If it has been sitting around for quite a while,
you may want to change the cmos battery on
the motherboard.
A dead one can cause improper hardware
detection and cause problems.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online