1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I just replace this HDD?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alcyon, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alcyon

Alcyon Thread Starter

Friends computer, Windows XP Home. She's been having trouble with it restarting on her a bunch lately, but she was always able to at least get to the Desktop before it rebooted without any error message or countdown (like the 0:60 blaster countdown).
    When I was finally able to take a look at the computer, it won't even get to the windows loading screen. I'm thinking the HDD is dead or not able to boot from some reason. The drive will not boot. Gives a blue error message after the bios POST. Bios can check the drive and it fails. I tried putting a disc in which I 'thought' was a bootable PartitionMagic disc, but it's not booting to it. So I'll try using a bootable copy of Partition Magic and see what it is before we buy a new drive.
    Any ideas? If the drive is not bootable now, is it worth trying the PartitionMagic disc? I'm sure the disc I put in before was just a backupdisc that wasn't bootable and had the program's setupfiles on it.
    Thanks in advance.

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

I'd try a bootable disk first because if it boots you can reuse the HD. i would try a bootable CD and a floppy.

3. Alcyon

Alcyon Thread Starter

**EDIT** The Partition Magic disc was bootable, I just checked. And the Windows installation disc was able to boot, but once it got the process for copying files to the drive, it rebooted.

4. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

What does the error message say? I'd hate for you to buy a new HD only to find out it was something else. You might also try reseating all of the cables, and RAM chips too.

5. Alcyon

Alcyon Thread Starter

I have an old harddrive I can pop in there, and then I'm going to check out the (possibly)faulty drive from there if I can.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/370292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice