1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I keep laptop plugged in even after battery is 100%?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by prosenberg, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prosenberg

prosenberg Thread Starter

I bought a new 17 inch HP laptop 2 months ago, but I heard that keeping laptops plugged in even after battery is full is not a good idea, So I usually unplug the wire after battery is 100% charged and then plug it again when battery is low. Only once I accidentally let the battery go so low that laptop tuned off on it's own and then I had to plug it to turn it on and start charging again. When I plugged it it started from 9%.
    Does always recharging this damage the battery?
    Should I keep laptop always plugged in?
    If battery goes all the way down once and laptop turns off and I plug again to recharge, and it starts from 9%, does it damage the battery or laptop in any way?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You will not find agreement on this subject. You will find people with different views who are sure that their way is the only way.

Here is my practice ...

When convenient and I'm using a laptop I keep it plugged in. (Because a battery has a finite number of discharge/charge cycles so why use one or part of one if no reason.)

When not using a laptop I never leave it plugged in unless I am charging it up for later mobile use. (Because, and I'm probably in the minority on this, I think that keeping a battery plugged in when it is fully charged weakens it.)

When inconvenient or impossible to have the laptop plugged in while using it I use it on battery with no worries. (That's why I have a battery!)

Occasionally I discharge the battery entirely or mostly to keep the meter calibrated.

AmateurJohn likes this.
  3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You haven't damaged the laptop or the battery, windows turns the laptop off when the charge drops to a certain % value.

I've read that the battery can only do so many charge/discharge cycles during it's lifetime and also that heat can reduce it's life. So I use my laptop without the battery in and only put the battery back in if I need the portability.

There's a lot of stuff about this online but IMO a lot of it is about the older style batteries not the L-ion type in nearly all laptops.

As Terry said though you will find many different opinions about this.

4. valis

valis Moderator

Yup. This is a very dividing question. I have an older laptop for work (work IT so we get the dregs and have to make them work) and do exactly what Terry does. When using it, it is plugged in, when it is off it is not.

My personal thought is that leaving a battery plugged in when not in use is not a good idea, but again, it is a divisive question.

5. jenae

jenae

I don't think any of the answers so far can be seriously challenged, however a battery under charge will considerably raise the surrounding area's temperature.

I do not always agree with this site, however as I was given this by the chief electrical engineer from lenovo, I suspect the detail reproduced here is largely accurate, certainly safe for most.

https://www.windowscentral.com/leave-laptop-plugged

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I have also always kept mine plugged in. My current Sony has been on 24/7 for the past 3 years, except when I take some where.
    It is a Windows 8.10, so I refer to it when I am looking for a Windows 8 issue or question.
    I have had 4 Sony laptops and all have been used in this manner and have never had any battery issues (Knock on Wood).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice