1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I learn basic Windows Server administration?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by stevejock1, Feb 15, 2020 at 3:37 AM.

1. stevejock1

stevejock1 Thread Starter

Title. I'm a newcomer to the field and have spent almost all my time in Unix for server administration. Right now I'm focusing on AWS for cloud certs, but was wondering if it is wise to force myself to learn Windows Server as I haven't had any experience with AD, GPO, Exchange, etc.

Basically just wondering if not having Windows experience will significantly harm my future.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Depends on where you want to focus your career. I have always been in the field of IT since I was a teen assembling IBM PC XT clones. I really dove into IT as a career when I got my MCSE. I eventually migrated into networking/data center infrastructure. While I have a decent understanding of AD, GPOs, etc, I am by no means an expert any more since my MCSE was back in the days of NT 4.0. Has this hurt me? No. IT is a really broad umbrella with many specialties. Even networking has a lot of silos which one can make a career out of such as routing, switching, wireless, security, VoIP, SDN, SD-WAN, etc. I have still kept my breath of IT knowledge broad enough where I was called a unicorn when I was interviewing for the company I am now working for. The hiring manager said from my resume it's rare that I've pretty much touched everything in the data center.

3. stevejock1

stevejock1 Thread Starter

issue solved!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1240261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice