Should I learn Photography with a film or Digital SLR?

jaisanmeal4

I have been wanting to learn photography for a long time. I messed around with my uncle's Olympus bridge camera a long time ago and a few compact family cameras. Recently I have been using my Iphone for all my photos but I would like to try something more challenging and learn more on photography in the process.
I have been saving up to buy a DSLR and currently have my eye on the Nikon D5200, but it's still quite a heavy price tag for me. On the other hand an older film SLR can be had for a decent price.
What I would like to know is some of the things I am not anticipating if I go the film route. For example, the film SLR does not have a flash(can be useful for fill flash sometimes) and would need to buy one separately. Photos would not be as easily transferred to a computer. Will it be more difficult than I am anticipating and won't be able to take decent photos before too long?
One problem I have been thinking about is weather sealing and temperature. Where I live(in Canada) it's colder than 0C half the year. All the entry level DSLR cameras don't have weather sealing and apparently cannot operate under 0C according to their specs. That's something that has me worried since what I like most is outdoor photograhy. If anyone has any experience with that I would love to hear it.
Your advice would be great. Please try to convince me of one way or the other.

jaisanmeal4

I have been wanting to learn photography for a long time. I messed around with my uncle's Olympus bridge camera a long time ago and a few compact family cameras. Recently I have been using my Iphone for all my photos but I would like to try something more challenging and learn more on photography in the process.
I have been saving up to buy a DSLR and currently have my eye on the Nikon D5200, but it's still quite a heavy price tag for me. On the other hand an older film SLR can be had for a decent price.
What I would like to know is some of the things I am not anticipating if I go the film route. For example, the film SLR does not have a flash(can be useful for fill flash sometimes) and would need to buy one separately. Photos would not be as easily transferredhttps://speedtest.vet/ https://vidmate.bid/to a computer. Will it be more difficult than I am anticipating and won't be able to take decent photos before too long?
One problem I have been thinking about is weather sealing and temperature. Where I live(in Canada) it's colder than 0C half the year. All the entry level DSLR cameras don't have weather sealing and apparently cannot operate under 0C according to their specs. That's something that has me worried since what I like most is outdoor photograhy. If anyone has any experience with that I would love to hear it.
Your advice would be great. Please try to convince me of one way or the other.
issue got solveddd

When I took lots of photos with my (Pentax Spotmatic) SLR, I also developed my own film. (BW), (yea yea, black & white). There was allus something amazing about seeing the image slowly appearing on the paper. Also, there were some effects I could never get with digital pics. Plus, for a long time I couldnt find the battery that fit in my Spotmatic.
I also still have 2 Nikonos' underwater cameras. I mostly took color (Ectachrome!) pics with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online