1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I part out my Dimension 9100 into a Compaq SR5214X

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by axe360, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. axe360

axe360 Thread Starter

My hard drive needs replacing and I dont have the dough just yet for my Dell 9100, but I have a Compaq SR5214X . I have a decent video card HD RADEON 5570 in the Dell and 3 gigs of memory and was wondering if I could swap out the Power Supply, the video card and the memory, from the Dell computer, into the Compaq? I think the Compaq has a better processor then my old Dell which I bought in 2005. Any suggestions/advice would be most appreciated..:cool:

Just trying to make the best out of what I have until I have the extra money...

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

According to the specs, the Dimension 9100 has a 375 watt PSU, and the Compaq SR5214X has a 250 watt PSU. My guess is that the PSU from the Dell won't fit in the Compaq, because it is larger (but you can look to see if there is space).

The memory is compatible, so you can use memory from the Dell in the Compaq, up to 2GB max.

It looks like the Dell has a better motherboard (Compaq uses one made by ECS). What if you put the hard drive from the Compaq into the Dell and reinstall Windows on it?

3. axe360

axe360 Thread Starter

That may be a gr8 idea, I have windows xp on the dell and vista on the compaq. I would rather have win 7 but I could live with vista for now. Thanks for the advice..

4. Frank4d

You would need a generic Microsoft Vista DVD though. You can't use a Compaq branded Vista DVD to install on the Dell, because it probably wouldn't work, and is illegal even if it did work.

5. axe360

axe360 Thread Starter

Forgive me Frank but I cant just take the hard drive from the compaq with vista already on it and put it in my Dell?

6. Frank4d

More than likely it would not boot because the hardware is so different. Some people have good results by uninstalling the audio, graphics and networking drivers before moving the drive; but its iffy.

7. axe360

axe360 Thread Starter

ahh I see.. Well, I guess my best bet would be to replace the hard drive in the Dell with a new one and put win7 on it. Thanks Frank for your kind advice... Peace

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice