1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I replace my battery?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Forgotenwaffle, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Forgotenwaffle

Forgotenwaffle Thread Starter

I used HWMonitor to check to see if my computer is overheating and causing the source of my crashes, but I found out my battery's wear level is at 51%. Should I replace it? Also, is there anything I can do to help my computer overall?
    I'm attaching pictures of the results of the HWMonitor right after a crash and recover.

Attached Files:

2. adrianr2z

adrianr2z

Looking at your pictures, I would say your temperatures are high assuming it's idle. I do believe your computers crash are caused by the very high temperatures of your CPU.

I would recommend you to clean your heatsink (remove all the dust) and would recommend you to clean the old thermal paste off of your CPU and apply new one on. This should help bring down the temperatures and not cause your computer to crash.

As for the battery, I wouldn't change the battery until it can't hold a charge. If the battery holds a decent charge and last you long enough, I would keep it. If you feel it dies out quick, than you can change it.

Also, I would like to know, when it crashes , are you doing extensive tasks (ex. video games, video editing) or does it crash even if your just surfing the web?

3. Forgotenwaffle

Thanks, I will take it to a computer repair place to get the thermal paste changed since I don't trust myself to do it. As for the crashes I crash only during extensive tasks.

4. adrianr2z

adrianr2z

Then yes, I do believe your computer crash is due to overheating of the CPU.
    I believe that cleaning heatsink and applying new thermal paste should get rid of the crashing problem you are having.

5. Forgotenwaffle

Thanks for all your help! I am going to a computer repair place tomorrow.

6. adrianr2z

adrianr2z

No problem! Glad I could help! Please report back with the results. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice