1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I replace my Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by baitbucket, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. baitbucket

baitbucket Thread Starter

I have been pondering on replacing my Router. I have the Netgear RT314. Its about 4 years old now. It works but I'm wondering if I would get better performance meaning faster speeds if I replaced it with a newer one. Seems when I plug direct into my modem I see a good deal of speed difference. I have the most up to date firmware on the Router. I'm not sure if the Router just finally starts to loose its ability to function at its fullest after so many years. Its a 10/100.

So I thought I would see what others thought.
    Thanks

2. Sponsor

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I can't imagine the router being a bottleneck, it's something I've never seen. I'd suspect that the speed difference may be something as simple as the MTU size in the router configuration set incorrectly.

There is nothing that "degrades" over time in something like a router, it's as fast now as the day you got it.

4. baitbucket

baitbucket Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not to knowledgeable When it comes to the specs on the Routers. But I had noticed that the wireless ones come in different herz so I thought that maybe the newer wired ones had changed.

I see they have some that say the WAN is 100 and the Lan 10. Not sure what mine is besides 10/100. It is all confusing to me and I just like to learn.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The wireless ones have been upgraded through the years, but that only affects the wireless connections. I've never seen a router that was in the least bit taxed keeping up with even the fastest broadband connection. I have a somewhat aging D-Link DI-614+ still as my main router, and it's able to sustain my seemingly upgraded Comcast connection, I'm getting a speed from www.dslreports.com - 2005-08-20 20:47:51 EST: 5435 / 338

My old router is able to punch in at 5.5mbit, so it's not that tired yet. :D

6. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I had a D-Link 614+ that got killed by a lightning strike. I now have a later generation D-Link.

It will be a long time before any router becomes a bottleneck. All of them can do the 100 Mb/sec that the typical LAN does, and they don't have any significant delays through them to the WAN side, and all WAN connections are substantially slower than 100 Mb/sec.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/391965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice