Solved Should I select "/dev/sda" OR "/dev/sda7"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mohittomar13

Mohit Tomar
Hello everyone, I need your help again. :)

I have Ubuntu 14.04.3 and Windows 7 installed on my system, but I never liked the Unity Desktop so I thought to install Kubuntu instead as my main OS. But for the time being I need windows as well. Also instead of running sudo to update to KDE I preferred a clean install so downloaded the 64bit version of Kubuntu 14.04.3.
Now I have two options for installation
That I run live session first and then install OS using the default settings from Kubuntu Desktop option, or;
2. I do a traditional install. (going the BIOS way)

My question is if I choose the 1st option will it install over the current UbuntuOS for which I have allocated 14GB appx. which is also actually what I'm looking for, or should I do a manual install to accomplish this??

If I go for manual install I don't know should I select /dev/sda or /dev/sda7. As the data in my windows is very important so I don't want to install Kubuntu over my C: drive, and thought that I should ask first before making any changes.

As I can remember from the last install I thing that we select /dev/sda to install grub, but I'm confused. Plz help. I'm also attaching pics of the options that I get when installing.Screenshot_2016-01-30-22-12-22~2.jpg Screenshot_2016-01-30-22-13-22~2.jpg
Couldn't think of any smart way to capture the screen so decided to go the simple way and clicked photos... he he

You can see in the 1st pic, if I go with guided way then it will install kubuntu alongside Ubuntu and windows which I don't want and in 2nd pic if I go manual way then I don't know what to select to make kubuntu install in place of Ubuntu rather then breaking my windows or GRUB. plz help..

Thanks in advance

/dev/sda is the whole disk. For Grub it means its MBR.

For a Linux installation it should always be a partition. In your case /dev/sda7 is a partition with Ext4 filing system which a Linux installation would attempt to use. If you want Kubuntu installed over Ubuntu then use /dev/sda7, have it "formatted" in Ext4 again and you will have a clean install.

Always put Grub in /dev/sda if you want it dual boot your Windows.

mohittomar13

Mohit Tomar
Thanks for the reply..

I formatted /dev/sda7 and left grub to be installed on /dev/sda (the default). It worked fine.

Thanks again

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online