Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Should I Shorten Links?

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  varunas 
#1 ·
My question is primarily about external links that I have on a wordpress-built page. Some links' URLs are quite long- for example, sharing a Google Map. What is the best way to format them: should I use the full original URL, or shorten the URL using a URL shortener such as tinyURL or Bit.ly (I also have some old ones using Google's own now discontinued shortener Goo.gl), or should I use a Wordpress plugin that will allow me to make a custom URL using my own domain - for example, mydomain.com/map which would re-direct to a specific Google map.

Which is the best way to put links on a page? Will it have an effect on google's ranking of the page?

#3 ·
From a security perspective I would be very cautious with shortening links especially with services like tiny url. This is because many malicious sites hide malicious payloads using this technique and when you click on the link you never know what your are going to get and where it will direct you to. So much so that many security centric browser addons block any content on a webpage that refers to these domains which could impact the usability of your website for your users.

The best way to "shorten" a link is to change the description in the html tag e.g:

HTML:
 [URL=https://www.w3schools.com]Visit W3Schools[/URL]
Which when rendered in the browser will look like this:

Visit W3Schools

In the example above, the raw link can be as long as you want, and the only the text "Visit W3Schools" appears to the user, but if they hover over the link they get a full description along the bottom of their browser about where the link will take them.

#6 ·
Sometimes shortening the URL change the destination, for example, recently I have shortened my google map link from Bitly. But when my friend opens the URL it gets redirected to Bitly site. So, my opinion is to avoid shortening URL of Google maps.

#7 ·
From a security perspective I would be very cautious with shortening links especially with services like tiny url. This is because many malicious sites hide malicious payloads using this technique and when you click on the link you never know what your are going to get and where it will direct you to. So much so that many security centric browser addons block any content on a webpage that refers to these domains which could impact the usability of your website for your users.

The best way to "shorten" a link is to change the description in the html tag e.g:

HTML:
 [URL=https://www.w3schools.com]Visit W3Schools[/URL]
Which when rendered in the browser will look like this:

Visit W3Schools

In the example above, the raw link can be as long as you want, and the only the text "Visit W3Schools" appears to the user, but if they hover over the link they get a full description along the bottom of their browser about where the link will take them.
No real answer to OP but a question to you Xsage is; In word-press that the OP uses....can one insert a hyper link like we do in this forum by highlighting a few words and then inserting the url in the texl. I guess that would be on the software mfg itself if that is allowed. I wonder of MS word allows that.

Just thinking out loud as some users are put off by code.

#8 ·
Yes that is correct, I haven't used wordpress a whole lot, but from my understanding wordpress users can highlight text and use the "Insert Link" button like you can do on this very forum and many others like it to get the same result through a more user friendly way.

MS word also allows this type of hyperlinking through the right click context menu here:

#11 ·
That's a good point, I didn't think of that. You never know where a tinyURL can lead. I'm building a site now and linking to some specific Google Maps and of course those URLS can get pretty long. I didn't know if the full length links had any bearing on SEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.