Should I Try Ubuntu?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BeefGas

I did some research on Ubuntu and it looked pretty interesting to me.

I just wanted to get some input from you people who have or did have Ubuntu.

Tell me the good and the bad :D

I am running on XP Pro.

Thanks

It's a wonderful GNU/Linux operating system. Give it a shot. It doesn't cost anything to try... or keep. :)

Have fun with it!

Hi and welcome to TSG(y)
Im an ubuntu user, And im pretty New.

You should Read THIS

When i installed it i was amazed by it, I was hooked from the moment it booted and Had ALL my Hardware Recognized successfully.

Its got a nice feel.

CONS: (n)

May be hard to Understand how it works 1st of all (Unfamiliarity)
May find it hard to Use some of your hardware.
Installing programs is completely different concept.
Microsoft Will loose out on 100 or more Dollars...
May find yourself Having no choice but to go back to windows.

PROS: (y)

Errrr. Where do i start?
Its FREEEEE
BIG community for support
I suppose the big one is the security you have...GNU~Linux Os's are very Rarley targeted for Viruses. Browsing in Linux is Quite Quite Safe.

Your free of Microsoft. and its products.
You can emulate most of Microsoft Products. using WINE
( you Can even Emulate Windows From Ubuntu.)
Ubuntu's own repository for most of the software u'll need.

Can be run from a Live UBUNTU CD
So you don't have to install to try it out.

Easily Recoverable.

Vista isnt a patch on it as far as desktop Animation and GUI is concerned.
Check it out on You Tube.(y)

I could go on and on,:p

The Question is: what do you use Your PC for??

I have Vista 64 bit, Dual booting with Ubuntu,

I Rarely use Vista anymore.
I use it for Itunes And Gaming.
All the rest i do in Ubuntu with Much pleasure and much ease.

Neb.

1002richards

Retired Trusted Advisor
Great advice above, so I'd say give it a try! I'm a bit of a distro-hopper but I've settled on a flavour of Linux built on Ubuntu and it happily dual boots with Vista.

leroys1000

Banned
You can install ubuntu inside windows and it will run
from an image file as a virtual drive.
It will set up a dual boot option at start up.
You can try it out and uninstall it from add/renove programs
in control panel if you don't like it.

One thing a PC user can learn from Unbuntu or any Linux is that it is possible to install all the PC operating systems in the world in one PC and Linux's boot loader can boot them all.

Id one can dual boot the same procedure does the next 100 systems.

1002richards

Retired Trusted Advisor
as leroys1000 said, you can run Ubuntu within Windows, chooose between the 2 at boot. No partitioning needed. An easy way to try and it's Wubi (Windows Ubuntu Installer):

http://wubi-installer.org/

Richard

I have tried ubuntu on several occasions but always have trouble, cannot connect to the web, cannot use printers already connected to the PC, each time i install i end up taking it back off two days or so later, it is a shame as i like what i see. although with xp etc i seem to be able to get out of most problems i seem to be quite thick with Linux.

I can't add much to what is already been said. It is a great OS. I run dual boot on two XP machines w/ 8.04LTS on one and 9.10 on another, both installed within Windows. Have been using Ubuntu since version 5 and they just keep getting better and better and easier to understand. I'm no linux expert, but it will be a cold day in Texas before I spend another dime on MS Windows - I've skipped Vista and doubt I'll do 7 unless it's a freebie.;)

I've had no problems installing printers, scanners, DVD burners w/Lightscribe, Java,. Did have some problems with wireless PCI card, since resolved and problem with Flash. Other than that, overall less problems than I've had with MS.

I say, absolutely give it a try.(y)

aka Brett

Banned
It has came along ways for picking up hardware...many pcs dont have any problems at all....sound and wireless would take a little hunting to fix in the past on some machines...most now though dont have that issue...
best way to get your feet wet with linux Imo

Since my post a few hours ago i have once again installed Ubuntu looks good again and it certainly as changed but just had trouble with flash installation to get this forum running ok, had no wireless problems this time, that is good, i would like a different browser though, i do not like Firefox, will try printer etc tomorrow, it may be i have to eat humble pie over my last post we will see.

Help!, After writing my post a few minutes ago i found that i can not find a spell checker in ubuntu am i blind or is there one i can down load,

Spell check may not be loaded for your language. Go to Synaptic package manager and under ALL in categories, look for> myspell-en-us or>myspell-xx-xx(xx-xx = your language , and install.

Thanks, i will take a look, the last time i tried Ubunbu i did not think to try a forum for help, last night i had another problem downloading up dates it said i needed, it was running for several hours and then failed, but i will have a go again later.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Staff online

Members online