Should I Try Ubuntu?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aka Brett

Banned
There are usually a ton of updates if the release has been out a while.
I never had it fail though...other than cant retrieve them due to a shoddy connection...when it applied the updates it always went as planned

................. last night i had another problem downloading up dates it said i needed, it was running for several hours and then failed, but i will have a go again later.
9.04 and 9.1 run pretty good out of the box, and may have everything you need, at least to give it a good try. I suggest not letting the automatic updates run. You dont necessarily need all of them and you can pick and choose the ones you want. You can highlight them and look at the description of what its for. Alot of those updates are for programs you may never need or use and theres no point loading down with things you may never use. Another plus to picking and choosing and downloading a few at the time, is if you start having problems after some updates it makes it alot easier to troubleshoot and fix if you dont have a couple of hundred mb of downloads to sift through to figure out which one is causing the problem. And with smaller downloads you stand less of a chance getting a corrupt download because of a connection glitch .

BeefGas

Using Ubuntu right now and it is amazing!!!

Don't think i will getting rid of it anytime soon!

If you do Come to a point where you can figure it out for your self, You can ask Questions here under the Linux And Unix threads.

The only reason Most people Give up on GNU;Linux is because they simply dont Need it.

Its hard to move from a troublesome operating system to an unfamilliar one.

Its well worth it though.

I am once again having major problems with this o/s, no matter what any one says it is not as good as microft systems, it is obsessed with passwords five minutes to connect to a wireless connection it asked me six times for one simple password, it was much quicker to shut down and restart on to xp, i am the only one on this pc and do not need this type of security, there is just not enough thought behind it at all.

I certainly will, I have once again and for the last time removed, both the partition and ubuntu, Choice of browser and the repeated asking for passwords, complication of software removal, difficulty in finding software to better this silly o/s, how many more reasons do i need.

I recently made the full switch to Ubuntu after running dual boot with Vista for a while. My two main concerns were audio through the HDMI which some people have had problems with and DoD CAC reader for the military. Luckily my notebook had no problems with the audio and I found a solution for the CAC reader. I'm not a big gamer on the PC so I wouldn't know about those. Aside from that, most hardware issues have been solved with Ubuntu so don't worry about that. Most software companies have realized that alot of people have been making the switch so they too have been releasing for Linux. If you go to buy a netbook and even alot of notebooks now you'll see a good chunk of them include the option of being purchased with Linux instead of a Windows OS. At first you may be a little overwhelmed with command lines and whatnot but Ubuntu makes for an easy transition.

I recently made the full switch to Ubuntu after running dual boot with Vista for a while. My two main concerns were audio through the HDMI which some people have had problems with and DoD CAC reader for the military. Luckily my notebook had no problems with the audio and I found a solution for the CAC reader. I'm not a big gamer on the PC so I wouldn't know about those. Aside from that, most hardware issues have been solved with Ubuntu so don't worry about that. Most software companies have realized that alot of people have been making the switch so they too have been releasing for Linux. If you go to buy a netbook and even alot of notebooks now you'll see a good chunk of them include the option of being purchased with Linux instead of a Windows OS. At first you may be a little overwhelmed with command lines and whatnot but Ubuntu makes for an easy transition.
(y) I've used Ubnuntu since version 5 and it keeps getting easier all the time. Just completed an update of 8.04LTS to 8.10 with just two gliches - Nvidia vid & network printer - both resolved in just a few minutes.

More and more software companies are getting onboard. I'm still overwhelmed at times when the rare problem comes along, but then, so was I with Windows.:eek::p

I am running Ubuntu 9.10 on my Toshiba AMD64 Laptop, Simply Mepis on a HP older tower and Puppy on another antique.. I am running Windoze Vista Ultimate Pro on this box, but as I become more and more proficient, I will wean myslelf off of the debug as you pay system to the Free <grin> truly best OS's in the world Linux... I am an older than dirt retired Navy Chief and have been in the digital age since the very beginning... I still learn something new daily, and even tho I am old, I ain't dead brainwise or bodywise... I know that there are a lot of people out there who either won't or can't learn whether this is from laziness or incapabilities I have no Idea, but I do know that if they don't have an open mind, I have no desire to even communicate with them...

I love trying new distro"s, I learn something everytime I load a different live disk..

Just this old Chiefs 2 cents

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online