Should I Try Ubuntu?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Personally, I would put it around the invention and use of multivibrators. That was the start of the electronics digital age I believe... I could be wrong, but back in the early 50's we were using multivibrators for timeing and pulse length for radars, sonars etc then we started voice encryption and of course teletype was earlier but that was done with tones......

Yes, I know all of that. Sperry Univac Field Engineering was out of the plant at Minnehaha and Pryor in the Midway District of Minneapolis and St. Paul Minnesota. I know all of the history of the computer. Field Engineering Tech Reps Offices was located in the room that was the CPU for the Univac. There were 6 cold water wells in the room just next to us onone of the 4 sides that were used for cooling the miriad of cabinets that held all the gates and one shots etc. Originally the plant was built to manufacture and test the Univac and it had its own Power Generating plant attached along with all the tube stockage and parts. Programming was by punch pins and switches and a hell of a lot of technicians doing a hell of a lot of moving in the looms that comprised the Univac. My bosse's office was the original office of Dr. Mauchly. The magnetic core memory took up a room that was turned into the the ReFab Facility for all the Navy and Marine Corps Computers that were returned to the plant for Overhaoul and Testing... Having been a part of that 2nd Generation group after the pioneers, and walking in the halls where the miracle of computing became real and viable, I know about these things. But again this all became possible due to the fact that 2 vacuum tubes could be used as a pulse circuit where one tube was conducting fully and the other was cut off... That is what led to the development of the Eniac and Biniac and the Univac and all the monsters of the day. Today you can hold in your hand a computer that has a million times more computing capability and is light years faster and doesn't require a power generation plant that could power a city.... I stand by my original statement.....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online